Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 11:44 AM   #1

996/997 Willwood hidden hitch for sale

For sale is a Willwood hidden hitch setup for 996/997 generation 911s. $350 + PP fees and free shipping in the lower 48.

Comes with:
  • Receiver mount that bolts to your crash bar, including *new* mounting hardware (4 custom bolts/washers/lock nuts) from Sport tows
  • Ball mount and locking pin. 2" ball mounted for illustration, comes with your choice of 2" ball or 1-7/8" ball (my tire trailer happens to be 2" ball but others may be 1-7/8")
  • License plate hinge
  • UHaul unpowered wiring adapter. I ran this exact model of adapter on my 986 Boxster with LED trailer lights and never had a problem. It includes a tester built into the plug which is handy.

For a 996 this is everything you need.

If you have a 997, I recommend:
  • You get sturdier crash bar mounts - for the 987, you can backfit to the 986 style of mount. I don't know if 997/996 is the same, you may have to research it, the a u t o a t l a n t a parts diagram shows this part #: 99650501500 If yours looks like the 986 Boxster version I think you are good, if it is a short little stub like the 987 Boxster you need the sturdier ones. When I did my Cayman I got a pair from a 986 from Woody (I have had them ever since I bought the car several years ago )
  • I don't know if the non-powered trailer adapter works on the newer cars. On my 987.2 Cayman, I went with the CURT 56146 Powered 3-to-2-Wire Splice-in Trailer Tail Light Converter, 4-Pin Wiring Harness.

Please hit me up with any questions and thank you.

Q: Why are you selling it?

It turns out that there is a 986/987 Cayman version and then also a 996/997 version, and this one happened to be the 996/997 version. I didn't know there were two versions until I got the receiver mount installed, and it hung down way too low. The ball mount wouldn't clear the exhaust and the bumper cutout would have been way below the license plate area. Even though I had read many threads about the install both for Caymans and 911s, I didn't see the difference (which is obvious now that I know there is a difference )

Thread describing install on a Cayman, note how the receiver tube is higher to match the crash bar which is lower.
https://www.planet-9.com/threads/willwood-systems-hidden-hitch.139857/

Thread describing install in a 996, note how the crash bar is higher, this thread has good directions for guiding your install.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/716873-willwood-trailer-hitch-install-help.html

Here is a thread with the 997 GT3 install:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/960247-willwood-hitch-for-997-gt3.html

Q: This isn't for the 986 Boxster, WTF.

A: But you are my peeps and I know that several/many of you have 996/997/GT3 etc that may be able to use this and they don't come up for sale very often...
​​​​​​​

Last edited by steved0x; 12-11-2020 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the price :)
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:19 AM   #2

Is the hitch still available? Thanks,Steve Park
nohops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:46 PM   #3

Did this hitch ever get sold? I am interested if it is available.
Marc C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 02:13 PM   #4

I've got the exact same hitch for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc C View Post
Did this hitch ever get sold? I am interested if it is available.
I've got the same hitch for sale. $350 shipped. I never installed it and sold my 996 last month. You'll need to source a piano hinge for the license plate but they're readily available on Amazon.

pricebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 06:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricebill View Post
I've got the same hitch for sale. $350 shipped. I never installed it and sold my 996 last month. You'll need to source a piano hinge for the license plate but they're readily available on Amazon.

I will buy that!
caymandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:02 AM   #6

I just saw this note, I hope you still have it and I did not loose out....I don't know why I did not get a notification.

I sent you a PM as well.

Thanks!

Marc C is offline   Reply With Quote