Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 07:41 AM   #1
North East UK

986/996 dash speaker adapter

hi guys.

I have designed an adapter/bracket that allows you to fit any(*) 4" speaker to the dashboard of the 986/996 without having to butcher the existing speaker, remove the tabs or glue a new one in.

*the drivers side (UK) has a specific shape in the dash which creates criteria for your speakers. The cone depth can only be a maximum of 43mm deep, the magnet needs to be a maximum of 70mm in diameter and the mounting face/platform needs to be a maximum of 1.5mm in depth as they are under-slung mounting. If you go beyond this criteria then you WILL need to remove/trim a plastic cable cover inside the dashboard. Please message me for more information and pictures on how to do this.

Heres a video of installation on my youtube:
Rear speaker bracket and grill adapters

Drop me a message or just post on here and i'll respond when i can.

Cheers guys.
Paul

Last edited by BoxPaulie; 01-15-2021 at 01:03 AM. Reason: new ABS version replaces previous PLA version 14/12/20
BoxPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #2

nice, i like the idea of easy swap without cutting up the speaker grill. i am in the US, zip code 06484, can you let me know what shipping would be? very interested as long as shipping doesn't ruin it!

thanks
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #3
North East UK

Yeah it was my intention to make this so you didnt have to butcher the existing grill or do anything to the speaker, snap tabs off etc. On a few cars there is a plastic cover over an earth cable under there, but surprisingly this seems to be a minority of cars, and even so you can remove that plastic if you need to.

Last edited by BoxPaulie; 12-24-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #4

Nice looking bracket. Just as a thought anyway to make one that would hold the tweeter in place? I use components 4” driver and a separate tweeter 1.5”

Maybe an add on bracket that screws into.

Great looking product wish I knew how to do 3D printing.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:29 AM   #5
North East UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Nice looking bracket. Just as a thought anyway to make one that would hold the tweeter in place? I use components 4” driver and a separate tweeter 1.5”

Maybe an add on bracket that screws into.

Great looking product wish I knew how to do 3D printing.
yeah i could probably do that. On my own grill the tweeter area is just blanked off, id have to get a hold of a grill that has that section open as standard. I'll look into it
Old 08-13-2020, 04:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxPaulie View Post
yeah i could probably do that. On my own grill the tweeter area is just blanked off, id have to get a hold of a grill that has that section open as standard. I'll look into it
Paulie, I am a new owner so I have a few questions.

Is the factory speaker a non-standard size in the dash? Is that why you made this mount? So if I bought a component speaker set with a tweet, I would need to modify my car to install it?

After reading about your 2 mounting options I went out and looked at my car. 2001 Base, no navigation. It has the amp in the bonnet.

I still have no idea if my dash has a tweeter or looks like yours without.

The original owner had the rear tray speakers installed (11/2002). Using a flashlight, it looks like they installed the smaller 2 speakers in that rear tray on each side. So I assume that is similar to a stock installation.

One more question: The single rear speaker is going to sound better than the smaller pair???
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:03 AM   #7
North East UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
Is the factory speaker a non-standard size in the dash? Is that why you made this mount? So if I bought a component speaker set with a tweet, I would need to modify my car to install it?

I still have no idea if my dash has a tweeter or looks like yours without.

One more question: The single rear speaker is going to sound better than the smaller pair???

hi fella. The dash speakers are totally custom, they have a specific mounting system that is unique to the 986/996 so you can just drop in a replacement im afraid. You can butcher up the old speaker to reuse the mount, but you would have to basically destroy it and cut the tabs off your new speaker and hot glue it in. Yes this is why i made it. I didnt make it for a tweeter as i had no need for one, my grills dont have them so i couldnt prototype it. The speaker size is 4" to use with these adapters.

i have no idea if the 2 will be better than the 1! i couldnt make the design work with a pair in there, just not enough room so maybe the Porsche speakers are slightly smaller than the generic 3.5" speakers you can buy off the shelf. I have the singles in there, Alpines and they really add something to the car especially if your head unit can control the fade.

Last edited by BoxPaulie; 08-13-2020 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:31 AM   #8

Paul, i'll take a set, my speakers are in definite need of an upgrade. let me know how to pay you with shipping to the US.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2020, 08:23 AM   #9
North East UK

It's an improvement over stock for sure.

Last edited by BoxPaulie; 12-24-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #10
TRP

Really clean solution! Love it.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:09 AM   #11

Installed my speakers with Paul's kit yesterday, worked perfect and took about 20 minutes to do both front speakers from start to finish. great product, thanks!
Old 09-01-2020, 05:25 AM   #12
North East UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav9515 View Post
Installed my speakers with Paul's kit yesterday, worked perfect and took about 20 minutes to do both front speakers from start to finish. great product, thanks!
Awesome! Glad it worked out Dave. It really is a more complex shape and mounting than it first appears, these adapters take the whole sting out of what would otherwise be a hell of a job.

Cheers Dave!
Paul
Old 09-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #13
2004 Boxster

Perfect fit : I have upgraded my front speakers and also installed new rear speakers in the storage bin, using Paul's brackets and grills. Easy installation, looks OEM. It took close to 3 weeks to get to Canada, but it was worth the wait...
Old 09-08-2020, 12:37 AM   #14
North East UK

great, cheers guys. 3 weeks is a bit extreme, boat might have broken down on route...

Glad they arrived ok though and you are happy. Thanks for the review fellas.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #15
2007 Cayman S

Speaker Adapters

Hello Paulie - I would like a pair of your adapters please. I live in Michigan USA, 48306. Please let me know how I can get a payment to you and how much in total in USA dollars. Great invention! Thanks.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:43 AM   #16
North East UK

Hi David, thanks!

Last edited by BoxPaulie; 12-24-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:33 AM   #17
2007 Cayman S

Speaker Adapters

Hi Paulie - thanks for the reply. I'm good with $45.00. How about you send me an email with your PayPal email address and I will send the $45.00? My email address is: dmpreston356@gmail.com
I will then send my full address to you.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2020, 04:51 AM   #18
North East UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by por356c View Post
Hi Paulie - thanks for the reply. I'm good with $45.00. How about you send me an email with your PayPal email address and I will send the $45.00? My email address is: dmpreston356@gmail.com
I will then send my full address to you.

Thanks!
sent David! if you want to PM me when you get a chance and we can have a chat about a few things, might be useful.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:45 PM   #19

Willing to sell the design to print for less?
subieworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:31 AM   #20
North East UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
Willing to sell the design to print for less?
hi Subie, no sorry the blueprints are not for sale for this one im afraid.