Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2020, 03:45 AM   #21
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
It's the same bumper I have on my car, the silver pic I uploaded on the other thread. It does make the car stand out.

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:23 PM   #22

So to follow up with all this - if anyone finally decides they want to buy the Aero I kit to get the front bumper cover, let me know and I'll buy the other half of the kit.

If it's an Aero I kit, I'm definitely interested in side skirts and rear deck lid/spoiler, or whatever combo comes with it.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9864ever View Post

By the way, the guy at Suncoast did say that the middle grille does need to be cut out for S versions. Surprised they don't have an S version but I assume it's not a huge deal to cut.
Whoooaaaaa! Hold it right there. This just raises the suspicion that I've had since the beginning that the Suncoast guy and website are mistaken. There is no need to cut a hole on the Aerokit II (GT3 style) bumper. As you can see by the photos, it already has a large opening. The one you need to cut a whole for the S center radiator is for the early Aerokit I. Here's a photo of an Aerokit I without the center opening cut out:

And here is the Aerokit I with the center opening. I believe there was a template to do this (also Porsche might have updated the design - can't remember):

ALL Aerokit II / GT3 bumpers come with the center opening already there (and as you can see it's part of the design and does not look like an added hole). Remember that this was originally designed as a bumper for the 996.1 GT3:

So, if the guy is telling you that you need to cut the center hole, either he read some generic side note somewhere meant for the Aerokit I and got confused or worse, it's the Aerokit I that they're selling you. I would ask for photos of the whole kit first.

(unless there's a plate behind the opening that needs to be cutoff. As you can see from my deleted posts above, every time I think I have things figured out I find out that I'm wrong )

Last edited by Javi Cooper; 02-16-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
Whoooaaaaa! Hold it right there. This just raises the suspicion that I've had since the beginning that the Suncoast guy and website are mistaken. There is no need to cut a hole on the Aerokit II (GT3 style) bumper. As you can see by the photos, it already has a large opening. The one you need to cut a whole for the S center radiator is for the early Aerokit I. Here's a photo of an Aerokit I without the center opening cut out:

And here is the Aerokit I with the center opening. I believe there was a template to do this (also Porsche might have updated the design - can't remember):

ALL Aerokit II / GT3 bumpers come with the center opening already there (and as you can see it's part of the design and does not look like an added hole). Remember that this was originally designed as a bumper for the 996.1 GT3:

So, if the guy is telling you that you need to cut the center hole, either he read some generic side note somewhere meant for the Aerokit I and got confused or worse, it's the Aerokit I that they're selling you. I would ask for photos of the whole kit first.

(unless there's a plate behind the opening that needs to be cutoff. As you can see from my deleted posts above, every time I think I have things figured out I find out that I'm wrong )
If they are really just selling the Aerokit I then i'd be screwed. He says it's the same in the photo. Intersting enough is you can see in one of the pics the bumper that is definitely GT3 / aerokit II style but it does appear to have the center opening for the rad but appears to have it blocked. I think this is what he means to have it cut out. Maybe it's a plate like you were saying? Not entirely sure at this point. Check out this 986 with the GT3 OEM bumper, it's also not opened in the middle.

Attached Images

9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #25
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
The bumper on the pic directly above is NOT Aero kit 1. It is either Aero kit 2 or 996 GT3 look alike but totally not Aero kit 1. The pics of the yellow S and white base farther up the thread are Aero Kit 1.

Last edited by tommy583; 02-16-2020 at 03:28 PM.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #26

Well then... so the Aerokit II also comes with the center opening blocked off. I stand corrected once again
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:29 PM   #27
01 Basalt Metallic 986

Garage
Since y'all have been talking about this topic, I found a factory 986 aero I (front bumper only) for $300 locally with scuffs on one of the lower corners. The color does not match my 986's color so I'd have to get it painted anyway. What price range should I expect to pay to paint it in basalt metallic black? Is it still a good deal? Is it a good idea to install it without the side skirts? If not, how much do the side skirts go for?
JimmyBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #28

it won't make any functional difference to install it without the side skirts.

$300 is a good deal assuming it is OEM and in good condition. To have a quality paint job done I'd guess ballpark $500-1000 supplies and labor

jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote