Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
Registered Abuser

Garage
FS: 98% of a 2000 Boxster S 3.2L engine (in pieces)

Hello,

I just registered today, and I plan on participating more in the future, but I wanted to first post that I have a complete 2000 Boxster S 3.2 engine that I'm willing to part out.... sans crankshaft.

I bought this car from a friend over a year ago with what he thought was a spun rod bearing. After tear down, I discovered that all rod bearings were perfectly fine, but the crankshaft itself had sheared itself into 2 pieces. The webbing between the #6 rod journal and rear main had completely broken.

Broken Crankshaft:

Besides the crankshaft, everything else appears to be in working order. The engine had 58,000 miles on it before the crank decided to end its life. I'm willing to part with anything from the air filter to the exhaust tips. All parts will either be sold or scrapped!

Please feel free to message me privately if there is anything in particular that is requested.

Thanks,
-Andy

Bayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #2

How much for the water pump? What condition is it in? How about the AOS?
robbiex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #3

Garage
What's the condition of the alternator?
Thanks.
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:01 AM   #4
Registered Abuser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiex1 View Post
How much for the water pump? What condition is it in? How about the AOS?
Water pump is in good condition. $50 (plus shipping, unless you want to pick it up in Detroit somewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno View Post
What's the condition of the alternator?
Thanks.
Sorry, I'm going to need this for the new engine swap.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:27 AM   #5

I wonder why a crank would break like that ?
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:05 AM   #6
Registered Abuser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I wonder why a crank would break like that ?
You and me both. I've seen much less expensive cranks handle significantly more abuse.

I dunno.

There's a lot about this engine (the M96 in general) that is left to be desired.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #7
inveniam viam aut faciam

Was the flywheel stock? I believe the crank is just a cast piece, nothing special.

Would someone really put a used water pump on their car? No offense, but that isn't a great idea unless you are broken down on the side of the road... Just my opinion.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:51 AM   #8
Registered Abuser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
Was the flywheel stock? I believe the crank is just a cast piece, nothing special.

Would someone really put a used water pump on their car? No offense, but that isn't a great idea unless you are broken down on the side of the road... Just my opinion.
The entire motor was 100% stock. I've blown up my fair share of motors, but I've never seen a crank fail like this. The crazy part is that the owner (at the time) drove it like this for about 5 miles. "I was obviously knocking pretty bad, but it was otherwise driving OK and I had no cell phone reception and the closest piece of civilization was 5 miles up the road..."

In regards to the water pump, I wouldn't hesitate to reuse a timing belt / chain driven pump. I've yet to see a bearing fail in any of these. The old domestic style water pumps that bolt a 5 lbs. cooling fan to the impeller shaft... yeah, I wouldn't reuse one of those if my life depended on it.

Oil pumps, on the other hand... I would never recommend reusing an oil pump.