Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
jakesbox

Brake Calipers

I am potentially in the hunt for an old set of 986 brakes that would work on my 2003. If they need rebuilt that is cool. I want a project that is cheap that I can learn on. I am not a brakes kind of guy as it scares the hell out of me to play with brakes...but I want something cheap that I can tinker with and then paint so as to have an extras set.

I also would like to paint the ones on my car. Again. I will not take them off as I do not have the proper tools to bleed, etc.

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #2

Hey trimer, just a suggestion... a Motive power bleeder isn't that expensive and is really easy to use. Given that it is recommended that you bleed your brakes every two years, this tool would pay for itself very quickly. You can do a much better job of painting your calipers if you remove them from the car first.

You will also need 10mm and 11mm flare wrenches, a 10mm hex socket, and a torque wrench for re-assembly. The wrenches and the hex socket need to be hi-end (Snap-on, Mac) or it all will end in tears and rounded fittings. You will also want some rubber stoppers to plug the fitting holes during painting.

Check Pedro's tutorial - it really isn't a difficult or challenging job at all.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #3

Garage
Talking

Trimer, brakes are probably the easiest thing to work on. I replaced my pads, rotors, sensors in March. I bought the car in Feb. I just had to replace the brake booster, water logged, while I was at it I replaced the master cylinder and removed the calipers and painted them. I replaced the bleeder valves with "speed bleeders" from Pelican. I got a turkey baster and got out as much brake fluid I could from the master cylinder reservoir. The main thing to remember is brake fluid is corrosive and will damage paint so BE CAREFUL with it and the finish of your car. Then I get some plastic tubing 3/8 I think it will fit snug over your existing bleeder valves. Remember there are 2 per caliper and when purchasing the tubing more is better! I got some empty soup cans and punched a couple of holes towards the rim and put a wire through so it looked like a mini paint can. Put the tubing over the bleeder valves and put the other end of the tubing in the can then open the valve up to drain the rest of the brake fluid. I used the wire through the can to hang it on the suspension. I did this in my garage and left the lines bleed over night. Pressing on the brake pedal will speed the process but I wanted to make sure the line were empty. Then I unscrewed the brake lines and let them drain into the can also. Make sure to mark the calipers front and rears are different. Pedro's website has a good DIY used the tip of using wire nuts to plug the caliper holes. I used brake cleaning fluid to clean the calipers but wish I had went over them with a wire brush after I painted there were some spots where paint did not take as well as I would like. I used one spray can of hi temp ruby red for the four calipers and put several coats on. Then I applied "PORSCHE" decals and used another can of hi temp clear. they look NICE. If you replace the bleeder valves with the speed bleeders like I did they need to go in tight, I didnt screw them in all the way at first and found out the hard way! when I went to bleed the system I had brake fluid shooting out of the bleeders fortunately there was no damage. I have a 99 so now I have to install the booster bellows upgrade to seal the booster to the brake mechanism, another $80 but dont have to dismantle the system again. Oh yeah while I was at it I sprung for drilled rotors so I have a set of slightly used non drilled rotors I will be putting up for sale soon. PM me with questions if you wish.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #4

I've got the bleeder and I am just down the road in LC; we should meet up sometime!

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I've got the bleeder and I am just down the road in LC; we should meet up sometime!

Steve
Forgive my ignorance...where is LC??!!!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post

The wrenches and the hex socket need to be hi-end (Snap-on, Mac) or it all will end in tears and rounded fittings.
Hmmm
I did 3.4 engine swap, suspension/brake job with HF tools with no problems
HF is more than enough for DIYer, I think
Old 12-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #7

If you're a hack and don't mind damaging fasteners, sure. Cheap flare wrenches spread and round fittings. Cheap hex sockets quickly lose their sharp edges and start rounding the insides of hex bolts.

If there is one thing I have learned in 40+ years of wrenching, cheap tools are no bargain.

Sorry dude - just my opinion, and I don't begrudge you your opinion even if we don't agree. To each his own.

Last edited by Mark_T; 12-04-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #8

Garage
Not trying to make an enemies here but just my 2cents worth and I am as cheap as they come. I usually by craftsman tools and have never broke any until I bought a porsche.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #9

I'd strongly suggest using 400 grit sandpaper after a through degreasing, instead of a wire brush.
With regards to caliper removal- Porsche says you must replace the bolts with new ones ( there is a newer version that is triple-square instead of allen-head!) once they're removed and a torque wrench should be used to retighten (approx. 80lbs.). Also, if the previous person over-tightened them then they may strip the threads in the HUB as you unscrew them ( because it's aluminum) and then you'll need to install a threaded insert.

Last edited by woodsman; 12-05-2013 at 05:06 PM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote