Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
SoK

How hard is it to replace a window regulator?

I found a good walkthrough for it on pelicanparts, but it's been a few years since I've done any kind of major repair on a car (never done anything like this before).

Anyone here completed this? How hard was it? did you use the pelican parts wakthrough? Is it pretty spot on? Any tips?

Thanks all

Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK View Post
I found a good walkthrough for it on pelicanparts, but it's been a few years since I've done any kind of major repair on a car (never done anything like this before).

Anyone here completed this? How hard was it? did you use the pelican parts wakthrough? Is it pretty spot on? Any tips?

Thanks all
Hi, SoK. I am not particularly well-versed in automotive repair of any kind, but I did mine 2 months ago with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I bought the part from Pelican, read through their walkthrough and then found one that I thought was a little more detailed at Boxster Projects | Power Window Motor Repair. I had no issues and completed the job 1/2 hour less than how long they said the project should take and everything now works perfectly! Good luck!
Devact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
SoK

That's awesome, thank you for posting! What type of symptoms did you have before you decided to replace the regulator versus the motor?

Thanks again!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #4

Quote:
That's awesome, thank you for posting! What type of symptoms did you have before you decided to replace the regulator versus the motor?

Thanks again!
On mine, I suspected that I would have to replace the regulator when I bought it 1 year ago, as it made a grinding sound when the window was moving, but it worked so I lived with it. 2 months ago, the window would only go down a couple of inches and then stop, sounding like it was not getting power to the motor, but it would raise back up, either by engaging the convertable top latch or the swith, so I knew that the motor was fine. Once I got it out, the braided cable on the regulator had broken several of the braids and gotten wound around the pulley.

From what I've been reading on your issue (sorry, I didn't have any time to respond until today), I think that it is your regulator that is bad and replacing it should fix your issue. It is NOT a hard job, just take you time and be sure of what you are going to do before you do it.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #5

I replaced mine twice over several years. It doesn't take too long and is an even faster job the second time. The Bentley book is an excellent resource; I used both that and the bombaydigital link Devact posted. Have fun!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #6

If the window is making a screeching/grinding noise when it goes up and down, try this. On the underside of the door there are 4 rubber access plugs for the window mechanism. Take them out and you will see 2 plastic pulleys. Squirt oil onto the bearing/bushing of the pulley and actuate window and repeat.

If it works, you fixed the window in less than 15 minutes.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #7

What kind of oil? WD40? Recommendation welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
If the window is making a screeching/grinding noise when it goes up and down, try this. On the underside of the door there are 4 rubber access plugs for the window mechanism. Take them out and you will see 2 plastic pulleys. Squirt oil onto the bearing/bushing of the pulley and actuate window and repeat.

If it works, you fixed the window in less than 15 minutes.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #8

Motor oil in an old fashioned pump oil can works for me. Try it all, start with WD40 then go up to a thicker oil.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #9

I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #10

It is very easy. Did mine and it took longet to pull the door card then to actually switch it out
magnusk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
SoK

thanks for the feedback everyone, seems like a pretty straightforward job. I'll give it a shot this weekend!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
SoK

Took the plunge last night, have to say it was a pretty easy install and the regulator was all that needed replacing! I didn't have any grinding or stalling issues, my window just simply stopped rolling up and was stuck in the door. I swapped switches and verified that wasn't it. I could also hear a click up and down in the door whenever I pressed the switch, so I went on the huntch it was the regulator and not the motor.

I purchased the regulator from ebay for $111 shipped with a 1 year warranty. new unit was a perfect match with the original motor, and actually looks to be like a more updated version. It's even cheaper right now, but here's a link to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120710755667?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I used the guide Devact posted to the T, and it's 99.5% accurate.

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/

The only part that was a bit off was on the speaker removal. I had 6 screws I had to remove to get a speaker surround off, which then allowed me to remove the liner inside the door. From there, i removed the 4 bolts holding the speaker to the door, but ran into another block. With the glass rolled down, you can't get the speaker out. I had to loosen the glass clamps up enough to remove the glass, then pull the speaker housing from the door. Otherwise, the glass traps it in.

Easy to figure out, just a bit different from the step by step guide. Took me about 3 total hours start to finish with LOTS of distractions.

Just to note, you can test the window motor with it detached from the regulator. Also be sure to test the new parts once you have the 4 bolts for the regulator and the 3 for the motor back on the car.

Bottom line, anyone can seriously do this. The dealer quoted me over $700 with tax for parts and labor to fix this, ended up getting it done for $111.

The important parts to that guide are having the right Torx bits in your tool kit. I'd recommend getting an L-shaped Torx T30 bit for loosening the right glass clamp, as it is in a bit of a wierd spot. I was lucky and ended up with an allen wrech that fit very close to a T30 size and got the job done. Also very important is to have a marker and

a) mark around the window where the clamps grab so you know exactly where to position the glass during reassembly, and
b) mark around the foot of the regulator where it is positioned with regards to the bottom inside of the door. When you got to bolt the feet of the regulator back to the door, there's a good 1/2" of slide in and out to angle the glass correctly.

Good luck!

Last edited by SoK; 08-15-2012 at 08:24 AM.
SoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Took the plunge last night, have to say it was a pretty easy install and the regulator was all that needed replacing! I didn't have any grinding or stalling issues, my window just simply stopped rolling up and was stuck in the door. I swapped switches and verified that wasn't it. I could also hear a click up and down in the door whenever I pressed the switch, so I went on the huntch it was the regulator and not the motor.

I purchased the regulator from ebay for $111 shipped with a 1 year warranty. new unit was a perfect match with the original motor, and actually looks to be like a more updated version. It's even cheaper right now, but here's a link to it.

PORSCHE BOXSTER 911 996 WINDOW REGULATOR RIGHT 97- 2005 | eBay

I used the guide Devact posted to the T, and it's 99.5% accurate.

Boxster Projects | Power Window Motor Repair

The only part that was a bit off was on the speaker removal. I had 6 screws I had to remove to get a speaker surround off, which then allowed me to remove the liner inside the door. From there, i removed the 4 bolts holding the speaker to the door, but ran into another block. With the glass rolled down, you can't get the speaker out. I had to loosen the glass clamps up enough to remove the glass, then pull the speaker housing from the door. Otherwise, the glass traps it in.

Easy to figure out, just a bit different from the step by step guide. Took me about 3 total hours start to finish with LOTS of distractions.

Just to note, you can test the window motor with it detached from the regulator. Also be sure to test the new parts once you have the 4 bolts for the regulator and the 3 for the motor back on the car.

Bottom line, anyone can seriously do this. The dealer quoted me over $700 with tax for parts and labor to fix this, ended up getting it done for $111.

The important parts to that guide are having the right Torx bits in your tool kit. I'd recommend getting an L-shaped Torx T30 bit for loosening the right glass clamp, as it is in a bit of a wierd spot. I was lucky and ended up with an allen wrech that fit very close to a T30 size and got the job done. Also very important is to have a marker and

a) mark around the window where the clamps grab so you know exactly where to position the glass during reassembly, and
b) mark around the foot of the regulator where it is positioned with regards to the bottom inside of the door. When you got to bolt the feet of the regulator back to the door, there's a good 1/2" of slide in and out to angle the glass correctly.

Good luck!
SoK, I'm very glad that this worked out for you and solved your problem. Nice job!