View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
Devact

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK View Post
Took the plunge last night, have to say it was a pretty easy install and the regulator was all that needed replacing! I didn't have any grinding or stalling issues, my window just simply stopped rolling up and was stuck in the door. I swapped switches and verified that wasn't it. I could also hear a click up and down in the door whenever I pressed the switch, so I went on the huntch it was the regulator and not the motor.

I purchased the regulator from ebay for $111 shipped with a 1 year warranty. new unit was a perfect match with the original motor, and actually looks to be like a more updated version. It's even cheaper right now, but here's a link to it.

PORSCHE BOXSTER 911 996 WINDOW REGULATOR RIGHT 97- 2005 | eBay

I used the guide Devact posted to the T, and it's 99.5% accurate.

Boxster Projects | Power Window Motor Repair

The only part that was a bit off was on the speaker removal. I had 6 screws I had to remove to get a speaker surround off, which then allowed me to remove the liner inside the door. From there, i removed the 4 bolts holding the speaker to the door, but ran into another block. With the glass rolled down, you can't get the speaker out. I had to loosen the glass clamps up enough to remove the glass, then pull the speaker housing from the door. Otherwise, the glass traps it in.

Easy to figure out, just a bit different from the step by step guide. Took me about 3 total hours start to finish with LOTS of distractions.

Just to note, you can test the window motor with it detached from the regulator. Also be sure to test the new parts once you have the 4 bolts for the regulator and the 3 for the motor back on the car.

Bottom line, anyone can seriously do this. The dealer quoted me over $700 with tax for parts and labor to fix this, ended up getting it done for $111.

The important parts to that guide are having the right Torx bits in your tool kit. I'd recommend getting an L-shaped Torx T30 bit for loosening the right glass clamp, as it is in a bit of a wierd spot. I was lucky and ended up with an allen wrech that fit very close to a T30 size and got the job done. Also very important is to have a marker and

a) mark around the window where the clamps grab so you know exactly where to position the glass during reassembly, and
b) mark around the foot of the regulator where it is positioned with regards to the bottom inside of the door. When you got to bolt the feet of the regulator back to the door, there's a good 1/2" of slide in and out to angle the glass correctly.

Good luck!
SoK, I'm very glad that this worked out for you and solved your problem. Nice job!
Devact is offline   Reply With Quote