Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon1965 View Post
I bought it, installed ( easy and quick install for my 98 Boxster) it and I'm returning it. The SOUND is excellent, meaner, especially in lower rpm and louder - also a lot lighter than a stock.

What I hated is BOOM/DRONE/VIBRATION 2K-3K rpm. Unbearable and tiresome. My son was begging me "Dad, turn OFF that VROOM" when we were cruising at 2K to 3K. The more throttle in that rpm brackets, the more pronounced the vibration/boom had become.

Top Speed technician told me that this is suppose to change after I drove up to 300 miles...
I did 450 - hurting even more.
I have to add that I had also Top Speed Pro Headers (definitive improvement of the exhaust flow - you could feel when you are taking off, that the car rolls off easier ) installed before getting the muffler - maybe if I had stock headers, the boom/vibration wouldn't be that much of the problem. Nevertheless I put back my stock muffler, back to normal...
Expensive experiment.

Now why on earth would anyone go from getting an afermarket muffler if it wouldn't be to expect/hope for little extra boom and sound.... and if not a little extra vibration fun! Com'on man............ this is a forum for adult

madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #22
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfaze2 View Post
Just got the exhaust installed. Sounds and looks great. Thanks Che.
You are welcome bmfaze2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedekz986 View Post
I'll vouch for this muffler. It sounds great, but does have a lot of drone between 2k-2.8k rpms. If you have a wife/gf who is not a fan of loud cars she wont ride with you. I have a hard time having conversations with passengers sitting next to me, and have to downshift and ride at 3k+ rpms to hear.

But i still love it
Unfortunately most guys same issue with the wife/GF LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon1965 View Post
I bought it, installed ( easy and quick install for my 98 Boxster) it and I'm returning it. The SOUND is excellent, meaner, especially in lower rpm and louder - also a lot lighter than a stock.

What I hated is BOOM/DRONE/VIBRATION 2K-3K rpm. Unbearable and tiresome. My son was begging me "Dad, turn OFF that VROOM" when we were cruising at 2K to 3K. The more throttle in that rpm brackets, the more pronounced the vibration/boom had become.

Top Speed technician told me that this is suppose to change after I drove up to 300 miles...
I have to add that I had also Top Speed Pro Headers (definitive improvement of the exhaust flow - you could feel when you are taking off, that the car rolls off easier ) installed before getting the muffler - maybe if I had stock headers, the boom/vibration wouldn't be that much of the problem. Nevertheless I put back my stock muffler, back to normal...
Expensive experiment.
No problem leon1965, we will take the exhaust back for refund. Its all good
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001535057084
delubozparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #23

do you sell just mid-pipes?
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #24

Mid-pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
do you sell just mid-pipes?
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/33153-f-s-che-boxster-test-pipes.html

just installed on my car.
onaFLYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #25

Garage
loved the sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
Now why on earth would anyone go from getting an afermarket muffler if it wouldn't be to expect/hope for little extra boom and sound.... and if not a little extra vibration fun! Com'on man............ this is a forum for adult
I loved the extra sound, hated extra drilling your brain to your dental fitting boom.

leon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #26

Quote:

Expensive experiment.
ZERO engineering. You learned. Hopefully others will listen and learn. I spent 3 years working at one of the top exhaust manufacturing companies in the world (for Porsche) Took us nearly 2 years to lose the drone.

There is NO free lunch.

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #27

Hi Brad, will all due respect to the resources and nrg you guys have put into designing what appears to be the ultimate product, there are some other packages that makes it worthwhile to go with. I got myself the NHP Motorsport exhaust system and in all honesty, there is no drone (as advertised). Okay perhaps quieter than the other aftermarket basement-made exhausts, for 2k it gave my car an incredible weight reduction, some minor HP gains, GT style tailpipes, plug & play installation (2hrs) etc.... that beast starts to reveals itself past the 4k rpm and sounds like a beauty in the upper rpms. I personally give it a 9.9 on 10.

Just not as cheap as some others but check it out!

Porsche Boxster 986 NHP Performance Exhaust 2.7L/3.2L
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #28

I'm not an engineer (never played one on tv either ) but shouldn't there be a way to wrap something or lengthen something or shorten something or open up or close down something just a little to change the exhaust frequency to lose the drone?

I don't know why someone wouldn't simply avoid the RPM range where the drone exists. I can't think of a time when I knowingly drive below 3,000 rpm.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
Hi Brad, will all due respect to the resources and nrg you guys have put into designing what appears to be the ultimate product, there are some other packages that makes it worthwhile to go with. I got myself the NHP Motorsport exhaust system and in all honesty, there is no drone (as advertised). Okay perhaps quieter than the other aftermarket basement-made exhausts, for 2k it gave my car an incredible weight reduction, some minor HP gains, GT style tailpipes, plug & play installation (2hrs) etc.... that beast starts to reveals itself past the 4k rpm and sounds like a beauty in the upper rpms. I personally give it a 9.9 on 10.

Just not as cheap as some others but check it out!

Porsche Boxster 986 NHP Performance Exhaust 2.7L/3.2L
I have the NHP V1 on mine, I like it but it is actually a little quiet for my taste, I am hoping a set of test-pipes will open up the sound some
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post

I don't know why someone wouldn't simply avoid the RPM range where the drone exists. I can't think of a time when I knowingly drive below 3,000 rpm.
Obviously you didn't try it in real life scenario.... you have to get your RPM above the 3K and sometimes its not that quick - also driving behind someone, getting to the intersection, or just getting up to speed in the traffic will bring you enough driving below 3K...
Not to mention simple inconvenience, to remember to avoid 2-3 K RPM.
leon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
ZERO engineering. You learned. Hopefully others will listen and learn. I spent 3 years working at one of the top exhaust manufacturing companies in the world (for Porsche) Took us nearly 2 years to lose the drone.

There is NO free lunch.

B

Sorry, but there is a free lunch when you do the engineering work and I copy your work when the IP expires. Cut a few corners to reduce cost and get it close enough for government work (GM).

The technical term is reverse engineering, nobody plays by the rules anymore.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #32
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post

There is NO free lunch. B
I too am looking at different options to install. Are you saying this muffler/exhaust system has zero engineering? If so, why do you think this is so?

Last edited by MileHighBoxster; 02-01-2012 at 08:35 PM.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #33

I just installed the headers, mid-pipe and muffler from delubozparts on my '00 Boxster S.

The install:

I bought the "factory second" headers with one O2 bung in the wrong place. Since I have only one set of working O2 sensors I thought this would be no big deal. I had a lift and removing the old exhaust was easy, it had been off the car 6 months go. The headers would not bolt up without massaging the holes in the header flange. After some minor grinding, the headers bolted up. The O2 bung on the driver's side was OK but the wire needed to be extended. The header flange is too close to the brace and occasionally hits it lightly. This happens when slowing down or sometimes at idle. The passenger O2 sensor tilts down more than I would like, but I don't think it will hang up on anything. It needed the wire extended as well. The mid-pipes fit fine. The mount for the exhaust needed some massaging of the mount so that it was not binding. About 4 hours to install with a full shop at hand.

Impressions:

The sound is amazing, sounds like a GT2 RS. I got no drone at any rpm. On the highway, the wind noise is still louder than the exhaust. But when I put my foot into it, the sound puts a huge smile on my face! I'm no kid, 55 and gray Driving like I usually do around town (short shifting below 3000 rpm) would not attract any undue attention. 80 mph is about 3000 rpm and no problem hearing the radio over the wind noise with the top and windows up. Windows and top down, you won't hear the exhaust unless you wind it above 4000.

Conclusion:

For the money, you can not beat this exhaust. The shop that did the work was so impressed with the value. They could not believe what I paid for the whole exhaust. They said they will be ordering some for their cars. They were paying, for headers, twice what I did for the whole exhaust. The minor fitting issues were worth the savings.

Final Thoughts:

I wanted to do a dyno run before the headers went on, but the dyno shop next door opened late today so the headers went on without benefit of the baseline run. I will be doing a run before I install Pedro's TechnoTorque II. The only real complaint is the clearance between the header flange and the brace which rattles sometimes. I will clearance that when we do the TTII.
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #34

Are these still available?
feelyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maj75 View Post
I just installed the headers, mid-pipe and muffler from delubozparts on my '00 Boxster S.

Final Thoughts:

I wanted to do a dyno run before the headers went on, but the dyno shop next door opened late today so the headers went on without benefit of the baseline run. I will be doing a run before I install Pedro's TechnoTorque II. The only real complaint is the clearance between the header flange and the brace which rattles sometimes. I will clearance that when we do the TTII.
How much was it all together? (Minus the shop labor)
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #36
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelyx View Post
Are these still available?
In-Stock and ready for immediate shipping
Old 02-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #37
Vendor

Great Reviews, Thank you maj75 :-)
Old 02-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #38

Garage
delubozparts,

I have a question about the pipes I received. The extra little pipe, how do I clamp that on? Is there a clamp I reuse or do I have to go buy one? Beautiful pipes by the way, love the flanges.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #39

I was Che's guinea pig many years ago with his sport manifold and twin chamber muffler. The set on my 2.5 increased HP and torque with dyno pulls before, during, and after the various parts of the install.

However, that drone of which so many have commented is actually deafening when it's raining or too stinking hot for the top to be down. My ears actually throb when I get out of the car.

However, most of the time I'm tracking my car now, and with a helmet on, the wail of the intake and exhaust combo is glorious and I don't need to look down at the tach at any speed to know if I need to upshift or if I can safely downshift.

I wish Che would make those straight pipes with two bung holes on each one so I could use them on my 2.5 (for track use only, of course!).
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #40
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
delubozparts,

I have a question about the pipes I received. The extra little pipe, how do I clamp that on? Is there a clamp I reuse or do I have to go buy one? Beautiful pipes by the way, love the flanges.
You can weld or clamp on these little pipes. If you need extra 2 clamps LMK will get it to you.