Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #1

FS: 4" UDP Underdrive crankshaft pulley - reduced price

For Sale is a 4" underdrive crankshaft pulley (UDP) for M96 engines. Fits Boxster or Boxster S from 1997-2007. This one was installed for 1 week before being removed. Not removed for any specific reason other than I was more comfortable with my car in stock form. So there are a few scratches on it from install/removal. This is the same pulley formerly sold by Chris Amond, and now sold by Jake. Comes with the pulley, shorter belt (also only used for 1 week), and a new crank bolt. Costs $299 from Flat6innovations. $200 shipped First $150 (firm) takes it.

Last edited by demick; 11-25-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: reduce price
demick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #2

Do you have the wrench that holds the pulley in place when you install it?
s_wilwerding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #3

I made my own tool using 2 bolts installed into the handle of another tool I had. The bolts were spaced at the same spacing as 2 adjacent holes on the pulley. I can post a picture later, and can include the bolts and nuts I used to do this, which can be installed into a piece of metal or wood to make a similar tool. But since I used the handle of another tool I can't include that part. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #4

Can you expand upon "not being comfortable" with this? I'm thinking about fitting an under drive pulley and I'm intrigued that you went to the trouble of putting it on only to immediately remove it again.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #5

I agree with Pothole. Please explain the reason for removal. Thanks
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #6

Sorry, I forgot about this thread and hadn't checked it.

I installed the UDP along with a couple of other items including a low temp thermostat at the same time. This was during last summer. So although I had never really paid attention to the water temp before, I became a bit hyper-sensitive about it after. I expected a drop in water temp due to the low temp thermostat, but the water temp didn't drop, and even seemed like it may have gone up slightly. I thought this may be due to the UDP. So I removed it. But the water temps remained the same with and without. So in hindsight, I don't think that my water temps ever changed, I just became sensitive to paying attention to them. But I'm pretty sure I saw no drop in temp due to the low temp thermostat.

With all that said, I realized during all of this that the car already has plenty of power for me and I really could care less about an extra 5 or 10 horsepower or whatever this offers. I have the opportunity to drive the car in a way to notice this extra power so seldom that I just decided to sell it rather than reinstall it.

Well, that's the short and long story.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #7

That's a good explanation. Thanks. How does the UDP effect the charging system?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:29 AM   #8

I'm no expert, but as you would expect, the UDP slows down the speed of everything it drives: A/C compressor, power steering pump, water pump, and alternator.
Lots of testing has been done by many people to see if there are downsides to the UDP. I remember seeing several posts by Jake during his testing before he approved and started selling this pulley (search these forums and you will see this stuff). I don't recall seeing anyone having any negative effects. In fact, there can be benefits to running these items slower for those who track their cars. The power steering pump specifically has issues at higher rpm's that the UDP solves. But at the other end of the extreme, this probably isn't for the person who spend lots of time idling in stop and go traffic in 100 degree heat with A/C and headlights on.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #9

PM sent .......
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #10

Reduced price. First $150 takes it. Don't bother to PM with lower offers.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #11

******sold******