Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #1

WTB- Manual Transmission for 01 Boxster S

Just bought an 01 Boxster S (nonrunning). The great news is that the fix was cheaper than I had anticipated. The bad news is it will not stay in second gear. Looking for a transmission before I give my mechanic the go-ahead to rebuild the original. Opinions are welcome.

gmanrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanrogers View Post
Just bought an 01 Boxster S (nonrunning). The great news is that the fix was cheaper than I had anticipated. The bad news is it will not stay in second gear. Looking for a transmission before I give my mechanic the go-ahead to rebuild the original. Opinions are welcome.
if you are lucky, maybe this thing will work for you.
Porsche Transmission 996 or Boxster New Upgrade Pop Out 2nd Gear Detent | eBay
i do not have any experience with this product, but maybe some other members can chime in.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
i do not have any experience with this product, but maybe some other members can chime in.
Hey, thanks. I am having my mechanic call up there to get more info. I really appreciate the help. If anyone is familiar with this Pop Out 2nd Gear Detant I would appreciate the input.
gmanrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
Meir,

Might work, might not. Hard to say. If there's already pop-out happening, probably a waste of $179, although it would probably work great in a rebuilt.
I've got one of those detents ready to install in my tranny. Just gotta find the time... maybe after Christmas.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #5

Garage
I have had my 2002 S pop out of second gear a couple of times. Happened when it was cold. Didn't seem like a big deal at the time but now I am wondering. Any thoughts from the experts? Is it an easy fix or a major transmission overhaul? She is in winter storage now but I could do something if I need be. Have many of you had similar problems?
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Usually swapping out the gear box with a working replacement ($2,500-$3000) unit is cheaper than rebuilding ($4K and up). Of course, this depends on the shop. You'll also find that the S model 6-spd ($2500-$3000) is about twice the cost of the base 5-spd ($1,500 or less).

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote