Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 06:06 AM   #1

SOLD: Custom Subwoofers

SOLD; thanks for looking

i got screwed here: Custom Sub, amp rack, headrest tv's and spoiler

this guy told me these subs would fit behind the seats and i could still fit in the car. i bought them in a hurry while on my way out of town & didn't do my normal due diligence. bottom line: i paid $400 for speakers that barely even let my girlfriend fit in the car; she's 5'4".

my loss is your gain. since i'm not a schmuck like the guy that sold these to me, i'll be honest and say that if you're taller than about 5'-8", you won't fit in your car with these. i can fit in the passenger seat (i'm 6'-1"), but my knees touch the dashboard.

since the enclosures are essentially worthless to taller people, i'll sell them with the speakers for $250 or the speakers only for $200. the speakers, BTW, are earthquake SWS series; they're a very short throw 12" sub. i did hook them up and test them; they work great and are in excellent shape. i'll post some pics later today.

to the schmuck that sold me these:
a pox on your genitals.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg

Last edited by insite; 02-04-2008 at 08:09 AM.
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:18 AM   #2

you have a pm
tbplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #3

can you tell me what shipping would be to 84003
ercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercc
can you tell me what shipping would be to 84003
around $65 for the speakers with the boxes. about $28 for the speakers only.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #5

do you have a picture? you can email me at er@helpmeer.com or post here
ercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #6

here's the pics he sent me; i haven't taken any of my own. the enclosures are fiberglass and were custom layed in his car; they fit the exact contours of the rear firewall. he insists that at 5'-10" tall, he drove with these in his car for two years. i personally don't think someone that tall would be comfortable, which is why i dropped the price from the $400 i paid to the $250 i'm asking.

Last edited by insite; 02-02-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:28 AM   #7

Wow I almost bought those, but I was busy that weekend and could not commit to the guy selling them. Just a thought, why don't you just keep one of them and put it on the passenger side. Just fyi you don't have to run subs in stereo, they can be ran mono since bass is non directional and a single 12" could get really loud. If someone buys the woofer and you have no use for the enclosure, I may be interested in buying one to copy the mold and make a smaller one for an 8" so that it will not require as much space.
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxs2000
Wow I almost bought those, but I was busy that weekend and could not commit to the guy selling them. Just a thought, why don't you just keep one of them and put it on the passenger side. Just fyi you don't have to run subs in stereo, they can be ran mono since bass is non directional and a single 12" could get really loud. If someone buys the woofer and you have no use for the enclosure, I may be interested in buying one to copy the mold and make a smaller one for an 8" so that it will not require as much space.
cool. keeping one and selling one would be tough since they're side specific (i.e. the passenger one only fits the passenger side). they're not a bad idea; they were just done with way to large a speaker. i think if they were done with the thin blaupunkt 8" subs, they could have been a lot thinner.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #9

these have sold; thanks for looking!

Old 02-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #10

Wow, thanks for the tip. I wanted to buy those and you beat me to it. I am now in the process of building my own and it will cost me much more in materials alone. However, I was still questioning the 12 inch size. I might try the 8 or the 10 inch instead. I will try to build the box a bit lower in the seat as well. I looked at those ones and tried the measurements in my car as well. Didn't work and I am 5"10.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by angman
Wow, thanks for the tip. I wanted to buy those and you beat me to it. I am now in the process of building my own and it will cost me much more in materials alone. However, I was still questioning the 12 inch size. I might try the 8 or the 10 inch instead. I will try to build the box a bit lower in the seat as well. I looked at those ones and tried the measurements in my car as well. Didn't work and I am 5"10.
blaupunkt makes a shallow throw sub that is even thinner than the SWS. i think they only require like 1.5" mounting depth for the 8's.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #12

In my opinion, this is a horrible idea. The flat piston subs are not musical at all, and are only worth anything for SPL. If you want bass in your car, do what I did and mount an 8 in the passenger footwell. Sounds amazing, and it barely a limiting factor on footroom for the passenger.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #13

Actually with technological improvements these days even flat cone subs can sound very good. These subs are tiny and still pack a punch and have had excellent reviews. They are a steal at only $70 each:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_21&products_id=106

I have a SQ vehicle running a Sony deck with quad 20 bit DA converters powered by a Mcintosh amp, Eclipse components and a Rockford sub. The combination is great for SQ and SPL.

Once I am done with my box I'll let everyone know how it turns out. So far I am planning on running an Eclipse deck, Xtant amp + US Amp (both old school quality) or newer JL Audio Slash series amps with Clif Design components and two of the Elemental subs. I am aiming for SQ that can also pack a punch at an affordable price. Don't want a pricey deck that will attract a lot of attention or a $1000-$2000 Mcintosh amp in this car.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote