Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2021, 07:47 PM   #1
Perhaps the worst example

Headlights sanded, grill inserts swapped, radiators cleaned out, atrocious Bondo

Pretty basic and phenomenal in the sweat-equity department. I’ll leave this here in case anyone wants to see a before and after with about $200 in materials... this covers eight hours of lights and bumper rehab in photos. Grab the $12 3M kit from Amazon, maybe two of them because the pink foam applicator will wear down with rubbing and finishing compounds. Started with 400 grit and liberal water sprayed, then 1000.

Attached Images

Old 03-11-2021, 07:59 PM   #2

Pulled that masking tape (doh, not the painter’s tape? Was impatient and payed for it when) AND suprise, loads of crappy old poorly laid clear float came off with it. Took the lights out like I should have in the first place and with them out got sidetracked on the radiator question.
This is a 23 year old, salvage title Craigslist find. It may never be special-priceless but I learned here that the radiator fins will have been filling up with treasure since it hit the road so I really wanted to see what we’d collected. But first let’s check out the back side of this Bondo bulge I’ve been seeing without fail since picking the little car up three weeks ago.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2021, 08:22 PM   #3

Shop Vac, yeah, but you want water in there, amirite? Also, sooo many broken plastic things underneath the bumper, above the bumper. Behind the bumper? Lol, TBH, I think it’s just fine for what it is: A Spring’s worth of tinkering and items arriving in the mail, a chance to drive the car my dad always wanted but was too reluctant about such things to enjoy that aspect of life... this really is a delightful car to be driving, fiddling with, researching all the things... well, I suppose you all already know all of that. This is my first post-introduction post.

Thank you for all the wonderful things you’ve all recorded here, yourselves on this forum, and over on Rennlist. Great little community. I’m now read back about six years on the forum. Thoroughly enjoying the process. And who knew wheel choice could be such a deliberation, lol.

All the best, Lincoln
(Now I’m off to fantasy low-ball Fittipaldi’s IROC!)
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2021, 08:27 PM   #4

Gratuitous one-to-two day before and after shots. Tomorrow I’ll drop the headlights in Beaumont for a legit automotive clear-coat. Current rate is $60, and a 12-pack of Modelos because it’s gonna be Friday somewhere
Attached Images