Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #1

Question on Clear Bra

I have a 2001 that I bought 2 years ago. Great car, great color, I love it! It came with a clear bra installed. Here is a picture from yesterday.

Name:  IMG_2060 (Medium).JPG
Views: 1432
Size:  264.2 KB

While washing it this weekend, I found this damage to the clear bra on the front bumper.

Name:  IMG_2062 (Medium).JPG
Views: 1287
Size:  228.1 KB

Close up. Notice the million or so little rock chips as well.

Name:  IMG_2063 (Medium).JPG
Views: 1157
Size:  275.3 KB

As you can see, it is pretty big and I would like to know if
1) Can it be fixed?
2) Can the clear bra be removed?

Thanks in advance, John

Old 02-18-2016, 08:31 AM   #2

Nice wheels. Sorry, I'm only here to tag along and find out what happens. My car has a clear bra on it that is ancient and looks like crap. When I searched I saw where people said if you try and peel it off it will pull up the paint.

Makes me wonder about the wisdom of a clear bra if it gets damaged and can't be replaced easily. On the other hand if it can be replaced easily then it looks like it did a good job of protecting the paint.

Last edited by flaps10; 02-18-2016 at 12:56 PM.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
One of my cars had it. There are some decent YouTube videos of various techniques. I tried everything on mine. A plastic scraper with a heat gun or adhesive solvent made progress, but I didn't have the patience. Even sanding the bumper and repainting made a mess, because I didn't get it all off. In the end, I got a new bumper (Black '99).
I think it's made by 3M. Contact customer service, maybe they can suggest something.

Last edited by 78F350; 02-18-2016 at 10:40 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
You may be able to use conventional paint polish & wax to correct the damage to the bra. That's worked for me before.
I pulled a clear bra off a 968 earlier this year that had been on for 10+ years. Acetone, heat gun, plastic razor blades and lots of patience were all necessary. When the bra came off, the paint underneath had been protected so well that it had not faded... unlike the rest of the car. Hard to see here, but there was a distinct "horizon" about 4 inches up the hood.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #5

The place that I use to detail the car at says they can try to get the scuff out for $125. If it does not come out than he will not charge me.

To remove and install a new bra is $500.

To remove the bra, polish and ceramic coat the whole car is $1200.

Ugh.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Ceramic coat will not protect the paint from chips and scratches like a clear bra.
If you want both, get the clear bra put on first as it won't stick to ceramic coat

which ceramic coating are you looking at?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 02-18-2016 at 02:20 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Ceramic coat will not protect the pain from chips and scratches like a clear bra.
If you want both, get the clear bra put on first as it won't stick to ceramic coat

That is a good point about not protecting.

I believe the ceramic they use is 22ple.

I am hoping that if I take the clear bra off, that the paint will be in good shape underneath and all the chips will actually be in the bra.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:26 AM   #8
Rennzenn

Garage
$125 to get that scuff out is pricey. $500 to replace the clear bra sounds reasonable.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Owner

Garage
You can actually take a clay bar to the clear bra and you may be able to get the scuff out of the bra
tada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #10

Try some of the same stuff that's used to correct faded headlights. I just used a 3M kit (bought at the local auto store for $15 and it includes the bit, various grits of sandpaper and polish) on my daughter's Mini and it worked wonders. They look like new again. The clear bra isn't too different. The only tool you need is a drill and some time.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
You can actually take a clay bar to the clear bra and you may be able to get the scuff out of the bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Try some of the same stuff that's used to correct faded headlights. I just used a 3M kit (bought at the local auto store for $15 and it includes the bit, various grits of sandpaper and polish) on my daughter's Mini and it worked wonders. They look like new again. The clear bra isn't too different. The only tool you need is a drill and some time.
Thank you for these suggestions. The detailing guy told me he would probably use a wool pad on his polisher. Not sure what polish he would use.

I will try this weekend and post results!
Old 02-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #12

Garage
Clear bra removal

I have a 2003 S that had a clear bra on the hood, fenders, mirrors and front bumper. The car was from FL so it had baked on. I used a plastic scraper - looks like a razor blade, but it's orange plastic and goo gone.

Heat helps. You can use a heat gun or hair drier or even a small space heater. Or, just leave it in the sun for a while. The scraper will take off small bits of the plastic and will leave some adhesive behind. Then put the Goo Gone on and let it sit for a few minutes. Use the scraper again to get the residue off. You may need to apply a few times, but it will come off. Took me about 40 hours total to get everything off and the results were excellent. The car looks like new, and no paint came off.

Have patience and good luck.
pscherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Ceramic coat will not protect the paint from chips and scratches like a clear bra.

I had Opti-coat installed all over the car and Xpel installed on top of it for the front third of the car about three years ago. No problems as of yet.
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #14

I had 3M transparent film on my '03 Boxster, and after about 10 years it really looked bad. After scraping with every tool I had for days, one of the body shops in town said they had good luck using a pressure washer to take the film off. I used the white nozzle on my 2500 psi pressure washer and sure enough, it took the film off easily without damaging the paint. It did leave the adhesive residue, which then came off easily with 3M Adhesive Remover.
green03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
I had Opti-coat installed all over the car and Xpel installed on top of it for the front third of the car about three years ago. No problems as of yet.
Xpel is nice stuff and it can heal itself with a little heat from heatgun or hair dryer. To OP have you tried heating up the spot with a hairdryer ?

Nice thing about a clear bra is that your nipples show