View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 04:24 AM   #10
insite

here's an engineering take on this:

1. because there is an air filter directly following the snorkel, any tuned effect due to the length of the tube is negated when the air flow is interrupted by the filter.

2. the tube is designed with a trumpeted end to act as a venturi. it will actually flow more air than a non-trumpeted design of slightly larger cross-sectional area.

3. the tube cross-section grows as it gets closer to the airbox. the primary purpose of this tube is to suck cold air at a reasonable velocity and expand the cross-sectional area of the charge to roughly match the cross sectional area of the air filter. the idea is this: rather than have a stream of air hit a small section in the center of the air filter, static friction from the filter can be reduced by using the entire filter. if the air flow is expanded to hit the entire filter at once, resistance to flow is minimized and filter efficiency is maximized.

4. the cup on the end of the tube was an afterthought designed to prevent rain water from entering the motor. reports of hydrolock caused this modification. removal mayl negate the purpose. it should be noted that the hydro-lock modification also included a drain in the airbox; it is my personal feeling that the cup on the end does nothing and the drain in the box does everything.

5. i believe that the snorkel was designed to work best without the cup on the end. i bet a dyno will show that the snorkel in place without the cup yields a more positive result than no snorkel at all. them engineers is smart.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote