View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 03:33 AM   #10
insite

drburton -

there is a lot of variation between PCA regions in terms of personality and level of activity. our region (peach state) is fantastic; i have met numerous persons from all walks with whom i get along famously. i recmmend at least heading to a couple of events to see what you think.

with regard to the DE program, i think it's great. you will get a lot of time in the car and some very good instruction. you won't need a fire extinguisher. you probably won't destroy your tires, but you will likely use up more than half of their life over the weekend. you will need an sa2000 helmet, but you can probably borrow one if need be. otherwise, call discovery parts. they have great prices. also, make sure your brake pads are new.

autocross is fine, but you will get like five minutes of driving around some cones with minimal instruction. with DE, you'll get around four hours of driving on a race course with classroom and in-vehicle instruction. i'll let you guess which will improve your driving more.

as for DE insurance, some carriers of regular policies (check yours) don't exclude you from coverage if the event is a sanctioned, un-timed, non-race on a closed course. many DO exclude you. if you're very concerned, Snellings Walters offers DE insurance. it's by year, though, and covers unlimited events.

in my opinion you should give this a shot. it's REALLY, REALLY fun.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote