View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #16
Paul
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

That's why I wouldn't go 60k mi. on my plugs. If they turned that easy for you, they certainly couldn't have been sealing all that well. Interesting about the Anti-sieze - Porsche does not recommend it and if you use a 2 yr. change interval, you won't need it. Plugs are about the easiest and cheapest maintenance you can do on a Boxster, even cheaper than the Cabin Filter in some instances. It's silly not to change them semi-regularly, if nothing else than to inspect the Spark Plug Tube 'O' rings.

I say interesting because my Car had the original plugs (Beru), Uusikaupunki built, changed at 20k mi. for the 1st time, untouched since assembly - No Anti-sieze. And, they were properly torqued as well.

So far as the Polyrib Belt, visual inspection means nothing as the belt relies on internal cording for strength and integrity. A belt which looked new could actually be ready to go at the next revolution if the cording was damaged. Still, I'd also keep it as an emergency spare, but in the Trunk where I could use it if mine broke on the road. It will degrade further being stored, so only plan on short use if you ever use it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
The spark plug boots showed no sign of leakage plus they were tightly sealed and offered some resistance when they were removed. It took a pretty good pull to break the plugs loose, but once loose they screwed right out.

However, you may be correct about the plugs being loose since the "anti seize" may have been carbon since when wiped off the plugs it looked like a black paste. There was no oil anywhere on the plugs, in the tubes, or on the boots.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 03-20-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote