View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 06:02 AM   #28
MNBoxster

Hi,

Sorry John, to each his own...

Hand tightening and then going another quarter turn is widely imprecise for a procedure where precision is exactly what is called for to insure proper sealing, and indexing, of the plug. I wouldn't be surprised to see variations of as much as 15 ft.lbs. over 6 plugs using this method. They may never be overtorqued as you say, but they never be properly torqued either.

I do admit to having used this method in my distant past when working on motors with Cast Iron Heads (Flathead 8's, Smallblocks, and the like), but when working with Aluminum Heads (actually usually Aluminum/Magneseum alloy), proper torqueing of the plugs is key to both preventing seizure and galling the threads, and proper sealing and indexing. I have installed/replaced literally hundreds of plugs in my life using this method without a single issue. And, Porsche does not specify using anything on the threads, if this were to cause issues, they certainly would.

Fact is, the only time I ever had a seized plug requiring a Heli-coil fix was when an Anti-Seize had been previously used, so my natural inclination is to stay away from it for Plugs. I do use Anti-seize for many other procedures on the 6 cars I own and maintain.

Again, I'm averse to using it on wheel lugs as well unless specifically called for. Proper torqueing, in stages, has never left me wanting. But, to each his own...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote