View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
Bill Pickering

Building a Boxster race car in your home garage....A to Z...

Hello All,

Recently with the help of some friends we built a "Spec Boxster" track and autocross car in the span of 8 calendar days. We documented the build in a local car club in Northern California but several folks have said this would be a good place to post since many people may be interested in how our build went.

Spec Boxster is a startup competition class in POC (Porsche Owners Club) much like Spec Miata or other classes that have a recipe for the type of modifications that are done to the car. The series is based on the 1997 to 1999 2.5L cars, but will undoubtedly branch out to the later cars as the series grows. As most of the startup activities are based in the Southern California area, I'm trying to carry the flag and generate interest in Northern California. For me, The Boxster is a great platform for a track car. We plan on competing in local Time Trials, Autocrosses, and club racing with not only the POC and PCA, but other car clubs as well.

Have a look at our build. All I can say is 8 consecutive days from daily driver to Viper killer!....

We decided to gather a small group of friends from the 914Club and take a weekend to build our Spec Boxster. Working on a car is nothing new to 914 guys, but working on a nice rust free chassis that all bolts together sure was!

Our timeline looked like this:

Fri Oct 20th: pull windshield
Sat/Sun Oct 21st and 22nd: R&R Spec suspension and gut car
Mon Oct 23rd: Drop car at TC Design for cage install
Thu Oct 26th: Pick up car from TC Design, reassemble dash
Fri Oct 27th: AM re-install windshield, PM corner balance and align
Sat Oct 28th: AX the Spec to shake it down
Sun Nov 12th: Infineon Raceway test day

Here are some pics documenting what we did.

We started with the donor car, 1997 chassis with 68K original miles and hardtop.

Bill Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote