View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #16
cartagena

A few years ago I bought my father a 2000 Lincoln Continental. This car has more horsepower than the Porsche and is really fast for a big car. If I remember correctly it has like 300 horsepower with a V8 which I *think* is turbo?

The second day we had it I took it out for a "test drive" on the highway. It started to snow a bit. It was the first snow fall of the season so the commie government did not plow the highways. I was turning onto an elevated on-ramp (for those familiar with Toronto, QEW Eastbound to 427 North) when I hit black ice. I should have been driving slower but I never expected to hit the ice. I totalled the car into the concrete guardrail. I remember getting out on the side of the on-ramp and kicking the door, cursing and swearing about how much I hated the snowplow people who should have salted the road, but instead were at home eating donuts. The car was smashed up on the drivers side almost to the driver's compartment. Right after I kicked the door another car hit the ice and smashed into the wall beside me. I almost **************** my pants and ran back into the car. This on-ramp is about 50 feet in the air so there is no way off of it except to walk down in traffic which would have been suicidal or jump off the side into the highway below which would have been the same. There were over 500 accidents that night according to the newspapers the next day. I had just returned a week before from the sunny beaches of Cuba and at that moment vowed never to live in Canada again.

Anyway, I learned from this experience to take it really slow when getting into a new car I am not familiar with. Ultimately the accident was not my fault but it still could have been avoided. I had the car only for two days. The tow truck driver dropped it back off at the dealer in the middle of the night. I am sure they were surprised to see it back in the lot totalled after only a couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift26
agreed! I have also been driving for more time than I care to remember and have driven under various conditions and have done autocross and other course driving. It is definitely good stuff. I hate it when someone buys a car and is not familiar with it and frst time out, have to test it's capabilities. It takes time to learn the car and get used to the way it drives under various circumstances.

Last edited by cartagena; 12-10-2006 at 06:48 PM.