View Single Post
Old 05-15-2023, 10:17 PM   #16
LoneWolfGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowski View Post
My money would be on the purge valve on top of the intake. This valve is scheduled to open when the engine is running under certain conditions to suck the vapors from the canister to the intake and then eventually burn them. I believe the hard starting condition occurs when the valve sticks open and vapors get pushed into the intake from the canister while fueling. Once the intake is full of this fuel vapor mixture the engine doesn't want to start as the mixture is all messed up.
Do you mean the valve under the driver's-side intake manifold? After spending four days reading up on the EVAP system, that's the valve I zeroed in on. Several people whose 986 had the same symptom as mine fixed the problem by replacing that valve. What's somewhat confusing is the nomenclature folks use to refer to it: purge valve, purge solenoid, fuel vent valve, fuel system vapor valve, tank vent valve, etc. Hard to be sure they're talking about the same valve. My next move is to give Pelican a call, describe the problem, and see if I'm on the right track. And find out the valve's official name.
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 05-17-2023 at 08:29 AM.
LoneWolfGal is online now   Reply With Quote