View Single Post
Old 12-22-2022, 07:19 AM   #13
Sand blister

So here we go. Update on the original post....

This took a long time to get done/fixed and was not pretty.

I ended up towing the car to a reputable "race" shop. Always great cars in the lot getting worked on. This was my first experience with them.

I explained the situation. Because they couldn't get a clear view to set timing, they highly recommend an engine out service. Bummer, but I trusted them and went with it.

This is where things went south. Upon inspection and attempting to reinstall the chain tensioner, it would not go in. They noticed the threads where stripped mid way through.

Two possible scenarios:
- during my initial attempt at re-install (tensioner did not want to go in) after removal I crossed threaded the tensioner and stripped the internal threads on the head. If any one has ever done this job it's a pain.
- as I was removing the tensioner, It sprung out and stripped the threads.

Both are possible and this is entirely my fault.

Either way, I was looking at a VERY expensive bill as this is way beyond my knowledge or comfort level.

As I was in the shop talking to the tech he got on the phone with LN engineering and flat six innovations offices to gauge options. Both said the head needs to be replaced in order to properly secure the tensioner. A thread chaser was not recommended.

After hearing the two pros from each office speak I figured the shop the car is in is in good hands.

So... they found a refurbished for $1500.

At this point I was in no mans land. Engine is out, car is in pieces. Not like I can pick everything up and take it home to figure this out.

Again, great communication from the shop about this process. Every call I received was essentially worse case scenario.

The head came in and got installed. Engine went back in and car is back.

Total was $6700. A total disaster, nightmare and worse case scenario.

This all started because I wanted to change a 3 dollar washer.

I have been working on cars most of my life. This "oh oh" mistake takes the cake.

Always double check and triple check when working on important items. Cause I do not wish this on anyone.
Sand blister is offline   Reply With Quote