View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 01:07 PM   #1
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Just hit a truck... Arghhhhh.

Was following too closely behind a heavy equipoment truck... flatbed with a ditch digger on the bed. He slowed to turn left... I turned to the right to avoid a collision. Didn't.

Front bumper cover clipped the passenger side corner of the flatbed. The contact sounded far worse than what the aesthetic damage revealed. Took about 2 inches, plastic still hanging, from the covver just in front of the wheel. The wheel is totaled, for there's a 2 inch chunk torn from the edge... where the tire touches the wheel (if that makes sense).

So... I'm thinking, "OK. Maybe a new bumper cover. I've an extra set of wheels and tires... so that's no big deal".

Tow truck arrives... we go to lower the car to the ground... and the wheel turns on it's own. Driver shows me the broken control arm. Points out that it's a two piece setup... and it's the aft piece that snapped. So... after I post this I'm going out to remove the damaged wheel and do some inspection.

So... and I know I can Google or employ the search bar to find the answers to my questions... but wanted to reach out to the fine folks on this board, get some fresh perspective.

I believe that I can replace the part myself. I've the tools, and it's not like I have to remove a head... remobe pistons, you know, internal stuff. External nuts and bolts, I'm faiely confident in my ability.

Is this something I can do myself? Any tips tricks? I know I'll need an alignment, but that's an afterthought.

Can I go used part? That would be less costly. What about a new aftermarket part (Autozone, Oreily, etc.?). Is this an afternoon job? What else should I be looking at while I'm inspecting for additional damage.

Finally, if I go the used part... who has one, and how much shipped to 92284?

Would the group like pictures after the wheel is removed? I'm heading back out now to remove the wheel.

Thank you, fellas. I'll check back in a bit.