View Single Post
Old 10-11-2022, 10:59 AM   #8
nuvolari

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
1 I can't remember how long the delivery took, but it was not more than a week or two.
2 The bearing in my car would seem to be the original and it is exactly the same as the replacement. I would suggest that NSK was the original supplier to Porsche. I have never seen a Porsche part number for the bearing, but if there was/is one it would probably be for the NSK part, like they do for many other suppliers.
3 I used the original bolt. The only sources I found for an updated bolt are the bearing replacement kits. Buy the Pelican kit and just use the bolt, and if you want, buy the new flange from Porsche. I asked in the forum if someone had a bolt after uninstalling a pelican kit, one guy got back to me but then it seems he couldn't find it.
4 The only part number was the one in my post. It is even on the bearing seals (perhaps in abbreviated form).

Thanks for the appreciation of my contribution. I went this route accepting that I was taking a chance, but any replacement has the possibility of going wrong. Good luck with your project... but don't call me if your engine blows up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
The factory bearing is an NSK, so probably your bearing has never been replaced.
Thanks for the info and help, guys.

Still undecided on which route to go regarding the IMSB but the time is rapidly approaching as I get ready to travel back to Nashville where the car is located. I'll post info about the IMSB once back there and I get it out. I was having trouble using the pilot bearing remover that many people have used but I suspect they were removing the single row bearing without the hidden lock ring. I'll fashion up a bearing puller once I get there, pull the bearing and see the condition. The old bearing didn't have any obvious damage or problems other than the gush of old, dirty oil that came out of the center opening from the IMS. Hard to believe that it's lasted 160k miles but maybe Porsche weren't so out to lunch when designing the M96.

I am leaning towards the new NSK bearing although with all the support items needed, it may not be the deal that it first seems as I may also need the Pelican bearing kit (for the center bolt) and possibly a new Porsche flange. With all that added, I'm up around $500 which gets me into EPS roller bearing range.

More research and thinking still needed, I'm afraid....
87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote