View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 10:19 AM   #11
elgyqc

Garage
I finally got back to the IMSB installation today. The engine that is in the 986 is running so well that I haven't been in a hurry.
I ended up using the original flange with a new o-ring and the original center bolt. The bearing went in the freezer and I heated the shaft with my heat gun before starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
... As for the snap ring: I guided the snap ring into the groove with a screwdriver while pressing the bearing in...
I made a sleeve that was supposted to hold the snap ring in place, but it didn't work out so I did as suggested by Homeboxster... while tapping the bearing in bring the snap ring up to the face of the shaft then slowly advance while pushing the snap ring into the groove. You have to find the spot where the ring will be held in the groove but not be jammed before it is inserted, not as difficult as I imagined, just go slowly.

I used a 32mm socket to drive the bearing in, if I did it again I would use a washer slightly larger than the bearing, or a larger socket. If not perfectly centered the 32mm contacted the bearing seal and deformed it slightly. When I tried to turn the bearing after installation it was binding. I removed the seal (which I intended to do anyway) and it turned without any problem. Scared me for a minute.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote