View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 09:34 AM   #37
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
There was a lot more work to do after installing the engine. I shouldn't have been surprised.
One of the CV boots had a crack - not all the way through. I thought it would be good for a couple months, but cracked the rest of the way and slung grease on the wheel. I replaced both axles after that and will re-boot the old ones later.
The single radiator that I had installed was barely adequate, so I put a larger custom radiator in. while I was checking it out the frunk latch broke - both normal and emergency release. After about an hour, I managed to poke a screwdriver in just the right spot to get it open.

The stock exhaust is too heavy and I didn't have time to order anything special. I cut the secondary cats off and tacked some scrap together to make a not quite straight pipe exhaust. Good enough for RallyX runs, but too loud for a long drive on the street. The lower edge of the bumper was unsupported and it departed the car on my second run.

At this venue in a farm field, the fast cars were running on snow tires or rally tires imported from Europe. I was running on big 18" wheels with street tires. I may explore getting 15" wheels and tires to fit. I know I can do the rear, but the front will need smaller calipers.

I have a lot to learn about driving and racing. This car still performs better than my ability to drive it. Next year I plan to have Woody's old car prepared and ready to actually compete.