View Single Post
Old 09-11-2022, 04:54 PM   #10
Homeoboxter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Would like to see how you can replace the tensioner without taking the cam cover off. You can't even replace the solenoid without taking the cover off.
OK, I went back and reread the original post. My understanding is that the PO talks about the timing chain tensioner, which is a spring and oil loaded hydraulic thing that provides tension on the timing chain rails. There are 3 of them in this car, 1 for the crank-to-IMS chain and 2 for the IMS-to-camshaft chains. He clarified that he meant the one that`s on bank two, facing down. He`d like to replace the crush washer behind it because it`s leaking. All three of these tensioners are bolted onto the engine from outside, you don`t have to take anything off, but it`s recommended to lock the shafts.

I think you are talking about the cam chain adjuster/variocam, which is a completely different thing. If the PO talks about the variocam as well then my post is to be disregarded. But I don`t think so, because the variocam has no crush washer, it`s not facing down and it`s not a tensioner.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote