Thread: engine rebuilds
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #12
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post

. the whole diatribe about vacumm leaks causing motors to run rich and thats what causes bore scoring, is in my opinion, one of the most wrong things I have ever read in regards to these motors.

mr raby on the other hand doesnt advertise or go through the same show as mr navarro, so its a but harder to judge. he also hasnt had a forum voice for many years after he decided to leave the community. but he used to speak of his motors as being bulletproof and having over a tb of data on his projects, two claims that I just have a hard time buying into. i'm not at all saying that he is dishonest, I just inherently steer away from individuals with absolute confidence.
You just might be surprised about just how right the overly rich mixture leading to bore scoring really is. Both the M96 & 97 engines have demonstrated their tendency to bore scoring if overly rich conditions persist for prolong periods, regardless of whether it was due to vacuum leaks (which typically take longer) or dripping injectors (where it happens much quicker); just as the 9A1 engines have shown the same tendency due to cold start cylinder wall washing caused by direct injection.

Jake on the other hand may be a little too mercurial for some tastes, which is why he stopped posting on several forums and selling components, and now focuses only on complete engines; but while you may not care for how he behaves, his reputation for innovations, really solid engine assemblies, and some significant power output increases is both hard earned and real, which is why his business has grown from being housed in an old chicken coop to a world class custom built facility that is recognized worldwide for what it is capable of producing, even if you have to wait a year or more to get access to it.