View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 04:52 PM   #40
Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I'm in no way disagreeing with what 10 said, it's how he said it that I took issue with.

"Maybe you bought a car outside your budget"

That's a rather condescending comment to make.

"Get a honda"

Not any better.

The forum is supposed to be a place to share knowledge and to offer advice, not to make comments about people's cash flow or status in life.

Too many of these posts wind up with this condescending elitism bull**************** about how great porsche is, how we love to spend money on these cars, and those of us who don't should be ashamed of ourselves.

But it's cool, I have no right to tell anyone how to be happy, so if that's what you cling to then good for you. But I will say it over and over again as long as I am active here - these are just cars, have fun with them, and don't be a dick to people for asking questions.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Sorry, but a good case could be made supporting the position that his comments weren't condescending at all. Only realistic and, in that sense, helpful to all, regardless of one's "cash flow or status in life." He was simply pointing out that buying an older Porsche for the seemingly bargain price of under $10K shouldn't lead one to the conclusion that it's all going to be smooth sailing, financially, once the title's in hand.

Just because those comments were made with conviction doesn't make them irrelevant or nasty. Or "elitist." The forum IS a place to share knowledge and offer advice, in a considered, thoughtful and forthright way. Without casting aspersions. "10" could have said,

"Maybe you bought a car outside your budget you dick"

"Hey, dickhead, get a honda"

But he didn't. You see the difference? In that case, he would be rightly condemned as stepping outside what's considered seemly and acceptable within a forum like this. But he didn't do that. You did. More than once. You should have led with "The forum is supposed to be a place to share knowledge and to offer advice, not to make comments about people's cash flow or status in life," NOT "Hey 10, don't be a dick." See the difference? The former makes a valid point, the latter just creates pointless acrimony. Help us all make this a friendly place.

Buy whatever rotgut transmission fluid you like, mix and match various weights and brands to come up with the "magical combination" that makes for peerless shifting. But do so knowing that, just maybe, you're doing so against the advice of those who have learned from experience and know better.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote