View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 08:36 AM   #6
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
You will only need to replace bell housing bolts if you lose one. Converter to flex plate can also be reused and can be replaced later without pulling the trans if you choose to.

Now, you recently changed your trans fluid, and the trans had issues with your son driving the car hard in the mountains. The question is why did the trans blow the seal. Possibly just failed. Overheated and filled too high? How many miles did the trans have before changing the fluid? Any signs of slippage when it was driven hard?

When you pull the trans note wether the seal has failed or is pushed out. Dump the torque converter and inspect the fluid. Is it thick with clutch material? Burnt smelling? Changing fluid in a high mileage trans can sometimes cause failure by removing the clutch disk material that was circulating and the clutches start slipping.

Just trying to give some ideas to check out.

Good Luck
Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions.

I will have my mechanic inspect the TC fluid. I had changed the transmission filter and fluid ~1,200 miles before the failure. At that time the pan was clean with no debris.

Were there signs of slippage when driven hard? Good question. My son was driving it... and there were twisties where he would "gun it" paddle shifting up and down. The Rs were all over the map. Up. Down. Up. Down. I was just enjoying the drive. I didn't "feel" any slipping while I was listening to and watching the shifts. Anyhow... at some point I smelled "smoke"... then it began filling the cabin (top was down). At that point I told my son to pull over and "pull over" was about two country blocks away. I told him to not shift or give it gas and relatively we rolled to a stop.

I got out... looked under... and fluid was pouring out.

When I pulled the pan the tranny fluid didn't look extraordinarily dark (it had been only ~1,200 miles)... and the filter looked good with no debris at all or discoloration.

This morning ordered the output shaft seal (Pelican/Porsche) and have on hand 9-10L of Pentosin 1... new trans filter... pan gasket.

My mechanic likely will pick it up next week... trailer it to his garage... and I'll be there during the repair assisting where I am able. It's been 4+ months since it failed and 3 months of that was spent "waiting" for another mechanic to pick it up. I fired him. New guy is on the ball.

A great Sunday to you.