View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 11:10 AM   #6
elgyqc

Garage
The engine is ready to go into the car... I have to wait till the snow melts and I can move my 928 out and put the Boxster in the garage. Some additional things that I have done.
- removed the alternator - it seems to be a bit noisy when I spin it by hand, I was thinking of changing the bearing(s) but decided to wait till the other engine is out of the car and I will install the best one of the two.
- greased the starter.
- cleaned up the coils and put JB weld on the small cracks. Newart gave me a box of used coils and I chose the nicest ones from the engine and those he contributed.
- had to safety wire one coil connection given that the wiring harness connector clip was broken. I will try and get a new connector sometime.

- installed a new AOS
- reinstalled the water pump with a new gasket. The pump has a plastic impeller and looks like new. But it looks like there has been a water pump with a metal impeller in this engine's past - there is a wear spot in the cavity...

- installed my rebuilt engine mount with my homemade rubber stops...
(DIY Engine Mount Stop - 9A137525701 ?)
- checked the wiring harness for damaged wires.
- cleaned up the clutch and flywheel and installed a new pilot bearing.
- drilled out 3 broken exhaust header bolts and installed helicoils (the bolts were broken when I received the engine).

I am slightly intimidated by the engine switch, but Newart has offered to help and he has already BTDT. The other problem is when spring arrives I plan to drive the car a bit before putting it in the garage... and I may have a problem convincing myself that I can live without it for a couple of weeks... well that will be an incentive to get the 928 running properly...
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)

Last edited by elgyqc; 02-20-2021 at 01:00 PM. Reason: addition of text
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote