View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 05:32 AM   #11
Biscuits704

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Even in cold weather my convertible top runs strong. A bit "creaky" but never requires assistance. I would be prepared to replace the transmissions (worst case scenario)

Exhaust rattle is normal. It's the metal expanding/contracting as it heats up/cools down. It should last for 30 seconds or so after starting and after shutdown. It should sound like a crackle or tinkle.

CEL coming on after rain is concerning. Probably the most concerning thing you've said so far. What are the codes it's throwing? That will make the difference between digits in repair bill.

That grinding could be bushings, although that doesn't usually make a grinding noise. It's usually.more of a clunk. I'd be worried about worn struts you may be hitting the bump stops (just a guess here but that's what mine did before I replaced them). I would look at the bump stops directly and if they look worn then expect to replace all 4 struts. If you do this, you're looking at a complete suspension overhaul.

None of this in my mind would be a deal breaker but it completely depends on your cash flow and willingness to do repairs yourself. Parts aren't terribly expensive but labor can break your bank.

I'll be honest though, I would consider passing with so many unknowns. It's not terribly difficult to find a garage queen with half the miles and none of these issues, and it sounds to me like the guy isn't doing you any favors with the price he's asking. It may take 6 months, but it may be very much worth the wait - especially since none of is are able to enjoy the cars for what they are with this **************** weather were getting now.
Great advice thank you!

I've been looking into the top issue - I really think it's the one outlined here:
Roof Issue
All adds up with the stretching of fabric (meaning it won't reach all the way), juddering noise as fabric rubs over frame, etc. Because of the hard top, the car is stored roof-down which can lead to shrinkage and this issue. I'm going to take a good look at it again now I know what to check. Still not ruling out anything like transmissions, but I'll be doing some thorough tests.

Yep, many sources confirm exhaust rattle is normal. I'll just live with it, or ask my mechanic to drop a couple of welds on there when it's in for unrelated work in the future.

CEL- I don't have an OBD reader, so unless I take it to a tech, I won't know. I am going to investigate the drain channels and test with some water. I forgot to add, this only happens when the owner parks on his sloped driveway, nose-in, with hard top (that covers things better) off. My hunch is that drains are blocked, and the rain pools on top of the engine cover below the clamshell, before finding it's way down and causing moisture on connections or MAF or something. Apparently this has been going on for a while and only ever happens after a hard downpour, before resolving itself after time to dry.

Bushings - it could be a clunk, I forget what was said. Owner is saying to price in a fix for those though, he seems pretty sure. I'll have to get it checked out (it will come out in an inspection) and see what the deal is. He did say though this only happens after long drives - so inclined to think it's not bump stop riding as that would happen all the time.

As for passing and finding something else... I'm only really interested in this one, truth be told. I know the seller and therefore the history. It's "come along" without me even looking so I either pull the trigger on this one, or I go without. I have another appointment arranged this week where I'll be doing some in-depth checking, and if we can agree on a price, I'll do it. Otherwise it'll be a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal1968 View Post
What year is/was your 951?

I've had an 83 944 NA and an 88 944S previously...fun cars.
It's an 86. Bone stock aside from newer CD player and full stainless exhaust (OEM is NLA).

I'm not too far from you - maybe I'll take a drive up in the summer
Biscuits704 is offline   Reply With Quote