View Single Post
Old 02-09-2021, 08:24 AM   #1
Biscuits704

Valuation help - 2002 Boxster S

Hello!

First time poster here, long time 951 owner! Hoping I can get some guidance on a potential purchase that's come my way...

A friend reached out to me last night. His father is selling his 2002 Boxster S. Letting it go due to age. Your classic older guy who loves and has babied it. I was contacted for first refusal since he knows I'm into P-cars.

67k miles.
He's the second owner.
Fairly standard/inoffensive color combo (arctic/black).
Hard top.
Second set of winter tires/rims (but not winter driven apparently).
Clutch/RMS/IMS bearing replaced 5k miles ago.
Records available.
Not sure on options.
Cosmetic condition I'm lead to believe is great, but I've not seen it.

On paper seems like a bit of a no-brainer, I'm "buying the seller" (who I can trust) and seems to be happening for a reason. Getting those good vibes.

My heart is screaming to get it done, but my head is slowing me down for some research.

Now, he has a price in mind which is "or best offer" and has already indicated he's very negotiable, and would prefer an enthusiast like me to get it rather than see it get trashed. Prices seem a little all over the map when looking at classifieds.

What would you say is a fair price for a 986 like this? Assuming it all checks out, no mechanical work needed, and in good shape (perhaps a couple of dings and scratches). Closest I saw on here was this one for US$10k, but don't know if that was in the ballpark.

As coincidence would have it, I was looking at getting a 981 GTS later this year (and selling my 951), but with a 986 I can keep both and wait for the crazy used prices of 981s to settle down a bit in the next year or two and have some fun in the meantime.

I wasn't even considering this approach but if the price is right and it feels good, why not?

Any guidance appreciated!
Biscuits704 is offline   Reply With Quote