View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 05:53 AM   #2
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbod View Post
Ok I just did some live data testing....the thing wouldn't recreate the problem. The timing on both banks was consistently even as the idle fluctuated. My question is, what would be symbolic of a failed solenoid versus a failed actuator/tensioner assembly. Because from what i know a solenoid is a 200 dollar part which only requires the valve cover removal..... whilst a tensioner assembly is a MASSIVE undertaking involving camshaft and timing chain removal... ive narrowed it down to either a solenoid or actuator issue... I just need to see which one it is before I start spending and the car really has no pattern with this problem, sometimes it just does not do it. Sometimes it will do it at cold idle, sometimes it will do it after warming up, I might add the car was sitting for 3 years until this month, if that changes anything, although it runs amazing and revs like a champ.. Although I noticed sometimes the car takes extra long to start. sometimes it doesn't and starts right up super fast, one time it refused to start at all and I had to press the gas pedal while cranking for a bit to get it to roar to life.... I feel like that might be connected who knows...
first: I would test the wiring to the solenoid.
I don't know if the wiring to the solenoid is just a 12 volt hot and a ground or???
So you will need a wiring diagram.
Second: If your scanner has component test capability you could actuate the Variocam system one bank at a time. With key on engine off and listen for the solenoid to actuate=click.
Doing this with key on engine off you should be able to hear the solenoid work because it is electric component.
but the actuator will not activate because it needs oil pressure to work.

Last edited by blue62; 10-02-2020 at 06:01 AM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote