View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
clickman

Wanted - your practical feedback on double DIN head units

I like to listen to tunes on the old iPod Classic, but I'm getting tired of not being able to see the song info on that tiny little screen. I've thought about sticking with single DIN to keep the original vibe, but I can't find anything with a screen that isn't just as useless as the iPod.

So it looks like it's time for a double DIN conversion, even though the old Classic is no longer supported (sob). So here's what I want, and hopefully there'll be some feedback from those of you that have been there and done that.

Some things I'd like: no CD/DVD player, customizable background and colours, quick startup time.

Screen type - capacitive vs resistive.
Apparently the capacitive screen has much less glare than resistive and will support gestures (e.g. swiping for volume control). Any user observations on the differences? Especially glare? (I wear polarized sunglasses.)

Volume control (knob, gesture, buttons).
Now I'm on the volume knob all the time, which I can easily grab while keeping my eyes on the road. Knobs seem to have gone the way of the dodo on new units, leaving us to be constantly searching for the volume touch points. Has that been your experience? Has anyone had any luck with the gestures some units have (ignoring the Apple Carplay / Android component)?

# of USB ports. Any real need for more than one?

Feedback much appreciated...