View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #26
piper6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Cunningr, you have an ELEVEN PERCENT MORTALITY RATE IN SPAIN!??

This is a FANTASTIC argument against the socialized Healthcare system that a segment of Americans think is such a great idea.

It's interesting that all of the "western" countries with universal health care have CFR's in double digits, but here's the demonized U.S. at 3.2. (By the way, this followed my own experiences with European Healthcare to a T)

Are masks the new norm? I dunno. I hope not. I hate wearing a mask and would rather stay home.... and frequently do. I DO wonder why masks haven't been mandated before now for things like H1N1, SARS, or even the common seasonal flu? Those all kill people too. TB has Much higher transmission rate than covid, and killed 1.5 MILLION people last year..... but no mask mandate. Sure; I get that the number in the U.S. is much lower than that (under 1k, as i recall) but globally we weren't hearing for masks on everyone.

I think the current "mask trend" is about SJW's. All of the people who are angry at those who don't wear masks and can them names and try to shame them: you're as much the problem in the world today as are those who aren't wearing masks because they resist being told what to do / wear / say.

Each of us will decide, just as we do with everything else in life, what our risk tolerance is. If where I draw that line is different from where YOU draw that line, do you really think it's helpful to call me names or tell me I don't care about others? You see you're buying right into the divisiveness that fractures the world right now. For every issue, we are forced to take a side, and a stand. Pitting neighbors against each other, dividing nations, neighborhoods and families.

How about instead; love your neighbor. Care fur each other. Make an effort to understand them, where they come from, why they feel the way they do? What life experience has led them to see things differently from you?

Personally I think that's what masks are about: yet one more effort to divide us. They aren't about health, or we'd be doing more than wearing a mask. They're about division. In the U.S. I expect to see them become MORE divisive after the election, regardless of who wins.

In the meantime: reasonable people will continue to act reasonably, so that we can keep working and keep paying into the system that so many are relying so heavily on right now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Where did you get your numbers of 3.2% mortality rate? The CDC site has week 30 at 12.6% and 7.8% in week 31, but expect that to go up since not all death certificates have been processed.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

The better question is the per-capita deaths in the US vs. Europe and other Universal health care countries.

Last edited by piper6909; 08-09-2020 at 09:15 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote