View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #16
jaykay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
Unfortunately I am not going to be able to be very much more help here, as I did my install maybe 3 years ago. The fine details (anything beyond that which I have already posted) are thus lost to the foggy annuls of time.

But I can confirm that the blinking-while-moving LED and the solid-when-up LED can both be seen when the car is stationary and the engine is off, simply by using that manual spoiler switch by the fusebox. (I've just now went out to the garage and have double-checked it)

VDO details: Please post your pictures of auxiliary center gauges! I really do like these gauges, as their color scheme (white faces, red needles, with black letters and center needle hub "button") is a close of a match as one could hope to find to the OEM gauges. The only (very) cosmetic minor nits to pick are that the round VDO gauge surrounds are bright chrome vs. a less shiny satin silver for the OEM. Also, the OEM gauges use some sort of a weird number font which does not agree with the much more standard VDO lettering font.

To install the VDO gauges, I bought an extra CD slide holder and gutted it, using only the mounting hardware such that it slides and fits into the console without modifications. A 3 mm thick piece of aluminum was used to form the face, holes were cut into it for the pair of gauges, and then it was adhered to the face of the gutted CD holder. The whole gauge package deal easily slides into and out of the console, and it is therefore easily removed with no harm done, should I ever decide to go back to the OEM cubby hole (not likely to happen, but you never know).

Keep plugging away at it!

Cheers - DM
Dave, thanks for the tips and advice. Very helpful!