View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 06:20 AM   #10
Racer Boy
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
what I'm trying to do is dial out (what I perceive to be) understeer on corner entry and midcorner. It occurred to me that, after installing springs/shocks along with adjustable tie rod ends, I hadn't set my bump steer.

It's PROBABLY not necessary, as the bump steer is probably minor, if anything, and the understeer is likely driver-induced rather than setup. ( I need more practice )

Additionally, I think my alignment was off (per my home measurement of toe, I had 1/8-3/16" of total front toe out. So I've got some other changes to make as well.
You say that the perceived understeer may be driver-induced. What do you mean by that? Are you giving the steering wheel a large input all at once while braking hard, or something else?

How much track driving experience do you have? Sorry for the questions, I just want to understand what is happening.

Straying too far from zero-toe will cause understeer, whether it's too much toe-in or too much toe-out. 3/16" of toe-out is a LOT.

Bump steer refers to toe change as the suspension moves through it's travel, either up or down. All suspensions have bump steer. You will get toe change when the suspension reacts to a bump, but you will get the same amount of change if the suspension reacts to body lean caused by hard cornering (lateral loads).
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote