View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #1372
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is an update of my first races in the SRF.

For the record:

Saturday race results: After a slow qualification, I started 24 of 26. I got a good start and worked my way up and finished 18th. A solid first race in a new car.

Sunday race results: Started 24 of 26 (based on lap times, not Saturday's finishing position) and finished 20th. I got as far up as 16th, but then I spun the car coming out of Turn 4 and had to battle to get back to finish 20th. Overall, a good first weekend.

What I learned:

Aero/drafting matters. A lot. Whereas the Boxster wasn't nearly as sensitive to aero, the SRF is amazingly sensitive.

During practice on Friday, I had a run behind another car on the front straight where we hit speeds around 135-140mph. I drove up behind them to pass, and as I pulled out, my car simply stalled and lost all momentum. I had to pull back behind the car in front and follow them again. I spent most of the rest of the day learning how to manage the draft to maintain my momentum so I could pass.

In Race #1, I also learned that the draft can be used defensively. If a car was gaining on me from behind, I'd move up a lane on the front straight to move the draft line away from the bottom lane. Often the driver behind wasn't thinking and would just drive into the full airstream on the bottom lane rather than follow my slipstream in the upper lane. This tactic was super effective in making it nearly impossible for the car behind to gain on me. Whereas if they pulled up into the upper lane and following my slipstream, they almost always caught up in 1-2 laps. This added a whole new level of complexity and strategy to my racing.

Send it. The SRF has quite a bit more grip so I had to continually force myself to drive into corners at speeds much higher than I would ever attempt in the Boxster. Of course, this technique finally bit me in Race #2 when I carried a bit too much speed into Turn 3 and ran out of room on track out at Turn 4 where I put the left rear wheel into the dirt and the car came around quickly and I didn't catch it in time.

Passing. My passing game has improved immensely which means that I have a lot more confidence and skill to plan, set up, and make a pass. I can now fairly readily dive on the inside under braking, take the inside line, and control the corner. It is hugely satisfying to be able to set up and complete nice clean passes.

Overall, it was a good first weekend. I still have a lot to learn but I am hoping to see gradual, but continual, progress through the spring.

The team and mechanics were great! It sure was a lot easier to focus on the driving when I didn't have to worry about the car. Especially on Friday when I lost 4th gear in the final practice! The team swapped the transmission Friday evening and the car was ready to race on Saturday morning. Also, the mechanics make sure that the car makes minimum weight - after practice on Friday my car weighed 1,567 lbs (car, fluids, and driver) vs a minimum weight of 1,560 lbs!

Here are a few photos from the weekend. Unfortunately, the video system wasn't working but I'll get everything up and running in time for Buttonwillow in Feb.

On the starting grid...

With my sponsor - the lovely Mrs. Stone...

In the draft...

On the NASCAR banking...

Driving hard through Turn 13 in the infield...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-31-2020 at 09:34 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote