View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #20
elgyqc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fchotika View Post
Hi folks, got all my timing sorted and the cars runs well. Next problem to tackle is the engine to transmission mating. Tired for 4-5 days but still cannot get it to seat properly. Best I got it in was 1/4” gap. Just bought the 800lb HF jack with better adjusting head to try again. I took out the clutch plate and tried and it mated up no problem. But with the clutch plate it is been very difficult. Thus my alignment is likely off. My question: I have also read that you have to “draw” them in by two case bolts on each side greadully. Is this true? Or if I have them should just mate up flush right?
So you were able to start the engine without the transmission? How did you support it?
On installing the transmission, I had similar problems (5-speed) and spent a lot of time fiddling around. My first problem was that my tranny jack was not quite high enough so I added a 2x6 between the jack and the transmission. Still it wouldn't slide all the way on, I think the gap was about a half inch. I measured everything and decided that at that distance the input shaft was already part way into the pilot bearing and the splines were in the clutch disk so I put a couple of bolts in and very gingerly tightened them, keeping the gap even, and got it all pulled together.
Good luck
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote