View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #6
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
LOL I sure hope that no one here tries to bleed there cluth fluid on there Automatic transmission

...Automatic cars do not have clutch fluid...they have whats called a Stall Converter which is installed in place of the clutch...at low rpms it isnt engauging but once rpms raise it will slowly engauge which inturn allows the car to roll without stalling....I nice thing to invest in for the automatics with alot of performance parts is maybe a stall converter with a slightly higher rpm engaugement...i think thats what gives you better jump off the line.
Hi,

FYI, it's not called a Stall Converter, it's called a Torque Converter and it works by running a set of vanes (Impeller) in a Bell (Torque Converter) Housing which is attached to the Flywheel. The bell is filled with Hydraulic Fluid (ATF Fluid). The Flywheel turns the Impeller and causes the Hydraulic Fluid to move in a circular motion around the Bell, this moving ATF then turns another set of Impeller vanes located on the rear of the Torque Converter Housing which is attached to the primary shaft of the transmission. It is essentially a Fluid Coupling. The second set of impellers drives a pump(s) which cause the transmission to shift gears w/o having to select a gear with a shifter. In other words, the power produced by the engine is transferred to the transmission by the pressure of the Hydraulic Fluid (ATF) alone with no mechanical means. This is why it's called a Torque Converter, because it converts the mechanical, rotary, power produced by the engine (Torque) into Hydraulic Pressure which then drives the transmission and ultimately the rear wheels (on a RWD car).

At idle, the flywheel isn't spinning at sufficient RPMs for the Impeller in the Torque Converter Housing to raise the pressure of the Hydraulic Fluid (ATF) enough to overcome the the resistance of the brakes. It doesn't need a conventional Clutch because there is no direct mechanical link to the Flywheel and Engine, and this is why you can stay in gear when at a stop w/o stalling the engine. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-10-2006 at 02:44 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote