View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 10:16 AM   #17
insite

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxlover
I know I will get some bias input from a boxster forum, but if you were in my shoes, what would you do?
i have an '04 G35 with a 6-speed, 18" wheels, brembo package, and zero lift package. i also have a '99 boxster w/ M030 sport suspension & 18" wheels.

the G35 is a great car. i love the way it looks, it's reliable, comfortable, and fun to drive. that having been said, it has 30,000 miles on it and the boxster has 103,000.

the boxster is such a joy to drive. every day i fall in love with it again. even though it lacks the low end 'punch' of the G35, everything works so well together; it more than makes up for the power differential. the balance is perfect, the grip is endless. it's very light on its feet. the seats are FAR more comfortable than the G's in my opinion. also, believe it or not, the box has quite a bit more usable trunk space. the G35's trunk is barely larger than the boxster's rear trunk, BUT....it has two trunks. and the sound from the intake is so sweet....

the G35 is fairly agile for its size, but it feels big. the box is much easier to drive fast; it constantly communicates to the driver in a way that makes the G feel a bit dead. the G's steering is a bit light just off center; it feels a little sloppy until you push it a bit. also, the traction / yaw control in the G35 steps in WAY early and WAY too aggressively. it's scary when it kicks in. also, there's not much headroom in the G35 for taller drivers. i'm 6'0" and my head hits the roof in my preferred driving position. i have to lean the seat back further than i'd like to. also, the door sills are kind of high for my taste. it can feel a little claustrophobic. i also like to rest my arm on the door sill when the windows are down. in the G, this cuts off the blood supply to my arm. the stereo is pretty good. the shifter is VERY sweet indeed.

the box does require a bit of maintenance. it's usually little stuff, but it adds up. it's also got a serious appetite for tires, but much of that is due to my driving style. i've never gotten more than 7K out of a set of rear tires. conversely, on the G35 i've just replaced the rears for the first time (32K miles on Pilot Sports). some will say that the G35 is more practical. it DOES have back seats, and they CAN fit adults, but i haven't ever used them for anything other than a briefcase, coat, etc. the trunk is very shallow and rather small. the seats do fold down, though. when you add up the size of the boxster's two trunks, there's really quite a bit of space. i actually fit a night stand for my bedroom in the front trunk standing upright! (spare tire removed).

all in all, they're very different cars. both are wonderful in their own rights, but for me, the boxster is so much more the driver's car that there really is no comparison. when i get in the G35 after driving the boxster, it always feels like something's off. it really feels like a sport sedan more than a sports car. when i get back in the box after driving the G, it's like putting on your favorite pair of shoes. you wear it more than drive it. and it's convertible!!

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote