View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
rick3000
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Garage Switch

Because I installed my fan switch in a 2-button batwing, I needed another switch to avoid using a blank (I have been on a quest to eliminate blank switches from my 986 since I got it). I decided to hardwire my garage door opener.

I opened my garage door opener and used a wire to determine which two contacts needed to be connected to trigger the opener. I then soldered two wires to the two contacts, and drilled a hole in the side of the opener for the wires. You can test the opener by touching the two wires together to see if the garage door opens/closes.

Next I wired one wire to Pin 4, and the other wire to Pins 1 & 2. This allows both sides of the switch to open the garage door. If you have two garage doors you could wire one side of the switch to open one or the other.

Pin 3 is the Illumination Power, and Pin 5 is the Illumination Ground. I installed disconnects on the two illumination wires and on the three garage switch wires to make the batwing removable, and to make changing the battery in my garage door opener easier.

Note on the Engine Compartment Fan:
You could also use this same switch to ground the engine compartment fan, you would just spice it in to the Pin 85 wire. I chose not to bother running a wire from the engine compartment fan relay in the rear trunk, because after using my durametric to review my oil, coolant and engine compartment temperatures and manually trigger the engine compartment fan, the engine compartment temperature does not appear to have any significant affect on the oil or coolant temperatures.

Last edited by rick3000; 09-07-2019 at 06:46 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote