Thread: Brake problems
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

First, I have had one front wheel lock up once or twice, but if its happening repeatedly then something is wrong with the ABS system. Based on your description of the problem (locking up and then pulling to one side), I'd have the calipers and ABS system checked.

Secondly, try to brake at the threshold just before ABS engages. I know that is easier said than done, but it's just like avoiding getting into the rev limiter on the engine - ABS is there for protection not maximum performance. Furthermore, once the ABS engages, it's nearly impossible to modulate the brakes.

Third, the best way to keep up with higher HP cars is to out corner them, not out brake them. Learn to drive the very best line using every inch of the track, then trail brake at corner entry to keep the car at the limit (don't over brake), carry your speed through mid-corner at max g, and get back into the throttle early (often before the apex) and hard (even a S model doesn't really have enough power to create a lot of power on oversteer at race track speeds).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-18-2019 at 08:16 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote