View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
Larrymal2

Garage
German Technology

Pros: technology is state of the art. I used to sell German Molding Machines for expanded polystyrene ("STYROFOAM") and they were the fastest, energy saving, and produced excellent cycle times. I worked with some of the best German technicians in Germany to understand how to repair these machines.

Cons: Very technical and customers had to have a maintenance person with higher than average skills to troubleshoot. That equals $$$

Now that said, I had the luxury over the past few days to experience maintaining my 99 Boxster. I replaced the failed water pump, bought the 163°F thermostat w/ housing (avoided having to buy the "Porsche" thermostat removal tool), serpentine belt, air filter, spark plugs, and the left front cooling fan.

Conclusion: If the pulley on the water pump was approx. 3/8" smaller diameter you would actually be able to put a socket on all the bolts instead of dealing with an open end wrench. I found it is much easier to use the wrench in the picture vs. the wet noodle flexible socket adapter for the lower right front bolt.
I used the clamps in the picture for the coolant hoses instead of the one recommended in the manual. I already had them in my tool collection.
The cooling fan electrical circuit is way over complicated. I watched a youtube video and it was great for troubleshooting and I have the Duretech? scan cable and program.
I was surprised of the amount of plastic push pins that hold the car together.
Overall I lost 4 lbs do to sweating my butt off in the 85/85/75(85°F/85% humidity, 75° dew point) Atlanta weather. I bought all my parts through Pelican and the best parts is they have an Atlanta warehouse so I received my parts either next day or 2 days. I also saved probably mega $$ doing it myself and got a lot of self satisfaction doing the repairs.
All said and done, she purrs like a kitten, runs cool as a cat, and me and the wife are going to take it for a Victory ride this weekend.
Larrymal2 is offline   Reply With Quote