View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Stripped Brake Caliper Bolt Hub Threads

Ohhh Noooo! I was in the process of changing my brakes (pads and rotors) and found that the upper caliper bolt on the front right wouldn't torque properly (it would tighten and then turn more, tighten and turn more, etc). Damn, I knew this wasn't good.

Removed the caliper and found that the threads inside the hub were stripped. My first thought was "who worked on this last?". Uh. It was me.

Two choices - I could replace the hub or try to repair the threads. I tried using a thread tap but they were already too far gone to be chased properly so I ordered a kit called Time-Sert in the proper size. The kit was kind of expensive ($96) but it was still cheaper than replacing the hub.

Amazon Time-Sert M12x1.5

The kit came with everything you need and five inserts. It was easy to use with very clear instructions. Here is the repair process:

Drill out the hole. The drill and countersink bits in the kit were too big for the chuck on my drill so I used a 3/8" socket bit in the drill and a socket to fit onto the end of the drill shank.

Drill out a counter sink....

Tap the new threads. I used a ratchet and socket to carefully run the tap into the hub by hand.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-07-2019 at 01:16 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote