View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
steved0x

Tracking my "new" Cayman with Michelin Pilot Sports - what to expect?

I tried doing some searching but my skills are weak I've been tracking my Boxster since 2013, and except for the first few times on HTR Z III summer tires, the rest of it has been on Hankook R-S3/4 with occasional 100 TW r-comp like Nitto NT-01 and Maxxis RC-1. One time I went back to my HTR Z III at the end of the day and ran a session before the drive home, and I was sliding the backend around like crazy.

I am going to Roebling this weekend and I am trying to decide if I should take my Boxster or my "new" 2009 base Cayman.

The Cayman is stock with 19" wheels and stock 235/265 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, that still have some life left in them, but if they get thrashed around at the track, that is OK, as I am selling these wheels once these tires are done.

I kind of want to check out the Cayman on track, to get a baseline before I do anything to it, but I'm not sure how the Pilot Super Sports are going to do on track, because I don't have any experience with them. I'm afraid I have been spoiled by the Hankook R-S4, and I'm worried I am going to try and ask too much from the PSS and overdrive them. Or do I just need to be aware of the softer sidewalls, and respect that they might get greasy at the end of a longer session? I do see a lot of folks at track on the PSS, and I know some folks here run them as their dry track tire as well.

What air pressures do folks like to run with the PSS? Do I need to go a little higher to account for the softer sidewall (and also to account for lack of neg camber? In fact I have no idea of the current alignment so I probably better find out and get that front maxxed out for now

Thanks.

PS Here is a pic taken by the previous owner, I don't have any good ones yet on my computer.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote