View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #14
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
As a buyer there should also be a discount for the unknowns due to the fact that it can't be test driven. Is the transmission any good or are the synchros shot, how creaky is the suspension, does the A/C work, do the brakes work, does it pull, etc. If the seller has owned it for a long time, has maintenance records and there is a mechanic that can vouch for the car, that discount can be less. Just my $0.02.
Paul is absolutely right. Don't be me. I learned this the hard way.

I bought my current Boxster as a roller (blown engine) for $3,000. The seller was sincere. He was nice. He seemed honest. He swore that the only thing wrong with the car was the engine. I believed him.

He lied. Straight to my face.

After swapping in a new engine, I had to spend another $2,000 to fix all of the crap that he knew wasn't working (but lied about).

Remember, the person buying the car is taking all of the risk and there are sellers out there who take advantage of the situation. You might be an honest seller, but the buyer can't be assured of that so they have to discount everything you say by lowering the price to a point where they feel they won't get screwed.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote