View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 10:30 AM   #7
oversteerdawg

It really depends on what you're going for. Here are a few of my favorites:

ALL OUT PERFORMANCE: Falken Azenis RT-615, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R, Yokohama Advan Neova AD07, BFG G-Force T/A KD, Michelin Pilot Sport 2.

Budget All Out Performance: Falken Azenis RT-615, Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212, Kumho Ecsta MX.

Budget Performance with decent life: Kumho Ecsta MX, Falken FK-452, Yokohama AVS ES100.

The best all-around tire for the Boxster is probably the Michelin PS2. It grips well, has decent wear, is reasonably smooth/quiet and does well in the wet. However, some people a little more on the fringe may want something a little less compromised.

The best performance tire is the Falken Azenis RT-615. AMAZING stick and very progressive at the limit. AWESOME steering response. However, some may find them a bit loud and stiff. Also, they wear quickly. Not the best in the rain because of the high rubber/void ratio, but not bad...fantastic grip in damp conditions, just avoid standing water. Good grip even after the tire starts to slide...HUGE usable slip angle. This is my personal favorite...basically a race tire carcass with a streetable compound. Low price is a huge plus as well.

The best budget performance tire is the Kumho Ecsta MX. Very good grip, not quite up to the Azenis or PS2, but still very good. Excellent wear characteristics and VERY progressive at the limit (for a max performance tire). I managed 8 track days and 7000 miles of street driving and still had just under half tread left...and this was on a 3300lb M3. Amazing treadlife considering the grip. Only downside is that they are a little soft in the sidewall (bad for steering response, good for ride quality).

-Tom
'01 986 S
'94 Miata Track Rat

Last edited by oversteerdawg; 09-27-2006 at 09:24 AM.
oversteerdawg is offline   Reply With Quote