View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #2
steved0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
02 Base. Daily Driver. 160K. Front lower ball joints are shot. After reading a few threads on here, I have a few questions regarding Meyle Front Lower Control Arms:
1. In one thread people mentioned that The Meyle Arms were 6mm shorter than The Porsche ones. Is this really the case? If so, how can they possibly fit?
I've never seen that, is there a link? I am running these arms in the back and have had no problems with them, and they are the same length as the OEM Porsche LCA. The inner rubber bushing is about 1mm bigger in diameter and so you can't retrofit it with monoball cartridges, but the overall dimensions of the arms seem to be the same. I have one extra at home and can take some pictures next to an OEM porsche arm.

Quote:
2. How well do these arms hold up? What sort of experiences have guys who have installed these encountered?
I like them, no trouble so far.

Quote:
3. Is it really a get-what-you-pay-for situation with $100.00 Meyle Arms vs. $400.00 Porsche ones?
I don't think so, in my opinion Meyle makes good stuff, I would not hesitate to use any of their stuff.

Quote:
4. Does swapping the stock arms for Meyles affect the alignment? Will I need to realign the car after swapping out the arms for the non-clunking variety?
In the back yes because the inner end that connects to the chassis is done using an eccentric bolt that sets the camber.

In the front, the ends of the arm are fixed and theoretically shouldn't affect the alignment, but if the old arm is worn and things are moving around, the new stiffer arm may change the camber slightly which would then change the toe.

Quote:
5. Can worn drop links add to the clunking? They are shot as well and I am looking at The TRW ones for replacements.
I have heard yes although I personally haven't had that experience.

Quote:
6. Should I do the inner & outer tie rods "while I am in there?" If so, then I definitely need an alignment, correct?
The clunking has got to go!
Thanks in advance for your help!
The tie rods aren't connected to the LCA (unlike for example the front "tuning fork" caster arm, so other than lifting the car and removing the wheels, there isn't much labor overlap. And yes a front alignment after replacing the tie rods.

Quote:
The clunking has got to go!
Front clunking? I would suspect the tuning fork arm, in the back that one is notorious for clunking so maybe in the front too? If you are replacing the front LCA I would replace that arm too, Meyle makes that one too, Porsche cross reference 997 331 043 01, that is the rear tuning fork arm for 997, but also fits 996 all 4 corners and 986 Boxster front. That is one that is a good candidate to do while you are in there.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote