View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 03:56 AM   #14
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Haha! I was just doing this today. It's a T27. Use a 1/8" drive torx bit with a short extension. Then a small 1/8" ratchet. They are deep, and kind of sit in there a little funky. When you put the airbag back in (if you use an airbag) be prepared to say a few creative sentence enhancers, and possibly strip the bolts, they are very soft and it is VERY easy to cross thread them.

The steering wheel bolt is 24mm, an impact wrench makes it easy work. Be careful when you pull the wheel off, it might not come right off. After removing the nut, put it back on a few turns and wiggle the wheel side to side. It might "pop". The reason to put the nut back on is to keep the hub from snapping the plastic keepers on the clock spring as it comes off. They break if you look at them funny. Then, go from there. Also, mark your nut/driveline to retighten to the same spec... once again, an impact gun is your best friend.
Well, I don't have an impact gun. However, when restoring my bim over a decade ago... same thing, bolt. I recall it being a breeze, but we'll see.

I'll loosen that bolt then start wiggling off the wheel, so it doesn't slam me in the face.

I'll be extremely patient and diligent with the entire process... as I want zero reason to have to buy anything else. I'll be very careful..

I'll pay extra attention when installing the new airbag... and will exercise caution when installing the torx screws. I'll position the bag... seat the torx screw to the bag... very slowly turn the screw counter clock-wise until I hear that little "click" then start screwing it in.

I do have a question for which I need some clarity... you said:

After removing the nut, put it back on a few turns and wiggle the wheel side to side.

With the airbag removed... I'll loosen the nut... pull the wheel until it is prepared to be completely removed (nut on so it doesn't hit my face when tugging)... remove the nut... and remove the wheel.

Your recommendation to remove the nut... put it back on... wiggle it from side to side. Do I perform that step as a precursor to removing the wheel? So I understand...

Remove airbag. Remove nut. Put nut back on. Wiggle wheel. Remove nut. Remove steering wheel.

Is that correct? Am I missing something?

I'll be returning this project later this morning.

Thank you.